My ACHILLES hate me!

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who likes to be active but has theeee worst achilles tendons on planet earth!? Running is painful. Elliptical is fine, but my feet fall asleep! I stretch, I've had PT...and I'm still in pain evvvvery time! Help!

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I don't have healthy achilles tendons either! It sucks!!!

I ice after workouts and gently stretch throughout the day (not just before and after workouts) I have found this very helpful if you are extra still in the morning getting out of bed:

Night splints that keep your foot dorsi flexed keep the tendon elongated in the night and are not painful in the morning. You can try it, but I always took mine off in the night in my sleep because it becomes uncomfortable. SO I put a pillow at the foot of my bed (I have a base board that keeps it from falling off the bed. If you don't have a baseboard then it may not work.) I keep my feet flat on the side of the pillow but not on top of it. My feet are at 90 degree angles that way and the tendon won't shrink in the night. Does that make sense what I'm saying?

I also take anti-inflammatories when it gets really bad. i can't wear flats or heels too often.... I have to have comfortable but supportive shoes on all the time. NEVER wear flip flops if your going to be walking around a lot.

Look up strengthening exercizes on you tube. Theres one wear you step up on a stair and slowly let yourself down. Watch tons of those videos on achilles tendon strengthening. Strengthening the calf muscles helps A LOT!!!!

Good Luck!
  • JAM7791
    JAM7791 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Oh, how I wish I didn't LOVE a flip flop! Those are all great suggestions :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    You have to be really patient and easy with it too. I am very injury prone and have had Achilles problems, IT Band Syndrome, runner's knee, shin splints and torn muscles. Achilles Tendonitis is the hardest to treat IMHO. All the other things I have experienced were manageable, but Achilles issues are a whole different ball game. It's the largest tendon in the body and since tendons don't have a lot of blood flow, it takes a long time. I have had the issue for over a year. Mine has not been completely dibilitationg so I continue my activities.... but you have to be careful because if it gets bad and ruptures then the ONLY fix is surgery!

When you do the strength training, make sure you are very careful and smooth. Don't do sudden jerk, etc. because you can damage it worse.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Swimming or weight training might be good options. I don't really have experience with this kind of thing, but they seem like they would be easier on your achilles.
  • Shootingfish
    Options
    I spent all of least year healing a torn achilles from running sprints. Rest is the first step. Also ice and heat. Heat when you want to stretch and ice when you finish exercising. The best thing you can do is stretch your calf muscles 8-10 times a day. It seems like a lot but if you do it every time you get out of your chair it's pretty easy to get in 8 a day. The best stretch is to lean into a wall or flat surface and place with your hands about a foot above your shoulders. Put your right leg back, heel down on the floor, and left knee bent stretching your right calf. Hold for 30 seconds and then switch. Do it 5-10 times each.

Walking up hill is bad (inclined treadmill) as it shortens calf muscles. You should also see a podiatrist if you have a very high arch and get arch supports. Super Feet are great supports for both running shoes and regular shoes.

Hope my misery helps you out !!! :)
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yoga and acupuncture have helped me work through my achilles injuries. And being very careful when speed training or training on hills.
  • garyl7593
    Options
    I've had achilles tendonitis since September....I managed to get round NY Marathon in November but have only managed 4 miles 2 or 3 times since....Its a slow process and not sure I'll get back to running anytime soon.
    I've had quite a bit of physio and myo fascial massage on them(myo helped the most)....but as soon as I get too mile 2 or 3 on a run I get the feeling the achilles is going to detach(horrible sensation).
    Ice straight after exercise definately helps and lots of stretching.It's the slowest my body has taken to repair an Injury.
  • JAM7791
    JAM7791 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Swimming does help but the pool at my gym is too cold and makes for a miserable workout! I've tried new shoes, new doctors, everything and really...I know that I just have to be patient. I walked two miles at lunch today but have to take it easy, or I too end up feeling like my Achilles is going to fall off! Awful! I would give anything to be able to just go for a run! Ugh! Thanks for all of the tips! Hope everyone's weight loss is going well! Mine has been slow and steady! Making a big pot of turkey chili for the Super Bowl!