Zumba calorie tracker, is it accurate?

Options
I did Zumba for 1 hour on low intensity and it said I burned 920 calories. I am 5'6" and I weigh 235 lbs. It just doesn't seem like I could have burned that many calories. Does anyone know if the tracker is acurate?

Replies

• LauraLouIsReady
    Options
    I have read mulitple websites that compare it to Zumba done with a heart rate monitor and it's pretty close. I couldn't believe it either. I burned 1000 calories last night.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I usually change it to be less. I guess I burn about 350 for 45 mins. I dont like thinking I can eat that many more calories.
    That being said. I LOVE Zumba. I think it really does burn more calories then you feel like. Since it's so fun to do.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It sounds right. On medium intensity in 20 mins I do about 300 cals, in 40 mins, I do over 600 cals, so at 60 mins I can see burning that much. I'm 5' tall & 183 lbs. You have to look at your age & weight to determine your optimal heart rate to burn fat. It sounds like you've met that requirement :) I actually burn more on medium than I do on high.
  • teresastrowz46
    teresastrowz46 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    the more you weigh the more you tend to burn. i used the calorie counter for the first few months when i started and was excited it was so high...but everytime i entered my new weight on MFP obviously the calories i burned at zumba went down too. so i'd always wondered how accurate it is as well. but i made friend at my zumba class and she has a heart rate monitor so now at the end of class i simply ask her...this only works because we're the same height and weight, just simply by chance! so now i have a more accurate way to tell. it is pretty close to the calculator though. sometimes i actually think it underestimates! but it's definitely gonna give you a good ball park figure! :)
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    With my HRM I did like 900 - 950 in an hour I am 5'6 and 250 so it is possible... so we are about the same

I just don't' eat all my calories back just in case plus I can't possible handle eating all my exercise cal;s back... I usually eat half...
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It is pretty accurate, it actually underestimates for me. I have a Polar FT4 and when I compare it to that it's under :)

If you don't have one, I HIGHLY recommend a HRM!!!
  • egiglio
    Options
    My cousin and I take a 60 minute super-intense Zumba class and she wears a calorie counter and its about 460 calories for what I would describe as very cardio intensive. But then I read it depends on what you weigh, which makes sense.
  • mfjutras
    mfjutras Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think that's a large over estimate. I did 1 hour of Zumba last night at our gym with my Polar HRM and I only burned 650 calories. I'm 230lbs and it was a pretty awesome workout but I think 900 calories is quite high.
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have compared to other sites too, and it alwasy seems pretty much the same. How many calories you burn depends on your height and weight.
  • tamleechart
    Options
    I did Wii Zumba, high intensity this morning for 20 minutes and burned 250 calories. Do you have one of those watches or belts that monitors calories burned? If so, I'd wear it and compare ......
  • tnt1278
    Options
    It's going to depend on your body and on the level of intensity you're doing. Of course higher intesity, higher calorie burn. I purchased a BodyBugg and I typically burn about 500 calories in an hour class.

I love Zumba so much I became an instructor about a year ago. I hope you're enjoying it!!!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wear a bodybugg and burn around 450 for an hour. I weight 169.
  • uncbluegirl
    Options
    I just invested in an HRM (New Balance N4) the other day, and it's probably one of the best decisions I've made in a while - other than deciding to get in better health/shape! I'm well-endowed, and I read that some people find that the HRM is uncomfortable, but the only time I notice that I'm wearing it is when I bang the moniter/watch on something.

In terms of calorie tracking, I'm 5'3" and 155 lbs, and for the most part the Zumba calorie trackers are mostly accurate. For me, it's never been more than 10 calories off... :)
  • TattoodTemptress
    Options
    yay well done on the zumba i love it too
    i think mfp is always on the high side for most exercises on here- you can also take a look at the below website which calculates it too?
    http://www.zumbacalories.com
  • rstinne1
    rstinne1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's right. It motivated me to by a heart rate monitor watch to wear when I workout. I don't feel any of the exercise calories I log are accurate and I'd really like the know the actual number. It's supposed to arrive in the mail today! :-)
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I know I am pretty old- 62- but in my zumba class, I keep up with the best of them. I also move a whole lot more than many of the ladies. I use my Polar 6. I am a consistent exerciser (gym 5-6 days a week), weigh 132 and am 5'2. When I work hard, I burn around 400- 435 calories for a 60 minute zumba AND a 30 minute zumba tone class. On days when I'm not giving my all, it is less. This is much less than the tracker on MFP. I feel that I am relatively fit.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba and I only burn 450-500...but I do this 7 times/week. I have other girls in my class that burned 800-1300 calories. The heavier girls burn more calories. SO, I could see you easily burning over 900 in a class. But, the healthier you get, the lower those calories go!! BOO!! So, here I am working my tail of and burning 450 and another girl is burning 1000!!!

Oh, and I have a HRM and so do some of the other girls in my class.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That seems high to me for low intensity. I do a very high intensity Zumba class with a HRM, and I burn about 500-600 calories/hour. I'm 5'4 and 150 lbs. I burned about 50 cal/hr more when I was heavier (180s).
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yes- it's pretty accurate. I will also put down that I burned less calories so I dont eat those calories. But it's butt kicking cardio!! I love it! I'm going to my zumba class tonight!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Its definately possible, I burn around 500 an hour, but its usually not high intensity, moderate maybe. Agree with the other girl go a little lower to be on the safe side- I love Zumba, its make me feel womanly!