WiiFit
Kettle Bell
Yoga bands/Mat
Elliptical Trainer
Mechanical Horse
Lateral Thigh Trainer
Exercise Bike
Rowing Machine

I can burn a ton of calories using all that stuff right!

What would a £400pa Gym memership get me .. why would it be better.
Do Gym bunnies owm any kit?
Im thinking about the Gym but with all my stuff i wonder is it a waste of money ?

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm tempted to say that home is better, because, you do it for yourself. (IMHO)

Sine the beginning I did my whole program at home, with (don't laugh) :

- cardio watch
    - rope jumping
    - two small weights

doing it at home allows me not to jump on the "I don't have time after work" excuse and focus on the result more than the image people around me @ gym would have.
    I sure could have achieve more progress at gym, but I know on the long-term I'll be able to maintain it way over more
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459300-my-personal-progress-within-7-months-pictures-p

I guess in the end it's all about motivation, self-discipline and commitment :)
  • brett1117
    Options
    I belong to Gold's gym for 12years...3 years ago I dropped the membership. Purchased P90x, resistance bands, and select tech dumbbells. BEST THING IVE EVER DONE...p90x is the best at home w/o program on the market..
  • Okieace
    Options
    I've done all my workout programs at home. I feel more comfortable working from home and I like the peace and solitude while working out. I've done P90X with amazing results. I purchased the SelectTech dumbells and installed a pull up bar in the garage. Right now I'm doing YouShape fitness for Kinect and planning to go back to P90x soon.

Sure, there is more equipment at the gym but it doesn't take a lot of equipment to get into shape. Just a good program, a few weights, and some dedication. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have joined gyms in the past and never stuck with them. I like working out at home a lot more. Saves time & money, and I know I am working out harder with home DVD's than I would at the gym. No self consciousness, no waiting for equipment to be available. No travel time getting there. Jump in my own shower when I'm done.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's entirely personal. I do both however.

For me:
    1) Going to a 'fitness' location sets my mindset for what I want to accomplish.
    2) I'm somewhat vain and less likely to quit mid set or whatever if I'm surrounded by people.
    3) During the week, I workout at lunch because I don't have time when I'm at home
    4) On the weekends or sometimes in the evenings I'll work out at home (P90X or Insanity usually) with my fiancee. We don't have a gym membership near where we live
    5) I lift weights exclusively at a gym because I don't have the space in my house to setup a home gym
    6) I continue to lift weights instead of exclusively body weight exercises because I've found I have better results with iron

Do what works for you. A squat or push up or elliptical session is the same whether you're at home or in the gym.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    If you have all that at home, and you currently use it, no need for a gym membership imo. For me, I have two young boys (2 years old and 4.5 months old) so getting out of the house and having my gym time be "my time" is needed. I could never do my exercises at home or I'd be hearing mama mama all the time, on top of crying and whining, lol. :smile:
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    hya vic yes its me ,i only own 2 dumbells,treadmill and wii fit which i go on a bit of all sorts and my fav at min is just dance ,and with my hrm now it gives me an excellent calorie totall ,sorted lol ,hope you keeping ok vic x:smile:
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't have the discipline to work out at home, at least I didn't before. There's something about shelling out $60 per month that makes me get in my car and go. Plus there are all the varieties of equipment there too.

If you join one, make sure you don't have a contract.