Chia seeds?

Options
I've been gives some chia seeds and been told there great for curbing hunger! And have great health benefits! I haven't actually tried them yet...as anyone tried them?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    We have some. I don't eat them plain, but sprinkle them on other dishes for additional protein.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies, and I put them in my smoothies. They totally expand and give you that full feeling. They are full of healthy fat, fiber, and protein. What more could you ask for?

I also mix them in my Greek yogurt. They are very small and nearly flavorless - kind of like a poppy seed.

They are also good in homemade dressing because once they soak, they form sort of "gel" around them - so they can make salad dressing feel thicker while using less oil. i haven't tried this yet.
  • radarmash
    Options
    yes they have amazing health benefits. i sometimes just add them to my oatmeal or if i make muffins i will add some in. but the best recipe so far which i highly recommend is to make jam with it. sounds strange but when you let chia seeds sit in water they will jelly.

1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    2 oz water
    8 frozen strawberries, thawed
    1/4 tsp orange zest

combine chia seeds with water and whisk for 30 seconds, set aside for 20 minutes. mash strawberries with a fork. add the orange zest and combine gel chia seeds. refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

so you can play around with this and use fresh berries and any berry that you choose. i made it with raspberries and it was delicious, however they are not as sweet and found it better with a little bit of agave added, you could also use honey. it will aslo be a runny jam but consider the comparison to store bought or even homemade and really there is no comparison! enjoy
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are great and have lots of omega-3. Sprinkle them in smoothies, baked goods, veggies, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. They can also be used as a substitute for eggs when baking (I think 1 tbsp seeds to 3 tbsp water - let sit until the chia get plump and use just like an egg).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle them on salads, protein shakes, etc.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    It is more of a protein thing than appetite suppressant. I have them and will blend them into smoothies or put into my cereal. They sell it in powder form to be used like a protein powder would.
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use them in my fat blaster protein shakes and they really do help to keep you full because they expand. I love them but they get stuck in your teeth...lol

Don't buy the powder form though....get the whole seeds. They lose nutritional value when they are ground up and can't fully expand.

1580924.png
  • lauz329
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will definitely try them!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    bump
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have a unopened bag at home, thanks for the tips I will start eating them as well.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I mix them in orange juice and kind of "eat" my juice instead of drinking it, sprinkle over yogurt, fruit salad, put in muffins prior to baking. Also just tried this recipe and liked it:

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 unsweetened almond milk
    2 tbsp sweetner (agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, splenda - whatever you prefer)
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla

I mixed all ingredients using one of those hand blenders and let it set up in the fridge overnight. It was surprisingly good!