struggling to get started

Options
Hi everybody.

My name is Riely. I'm a stay-at-home mom of an almost-two-year-old and an 8 month old. I joined a gym back in February, but have only succeeded in GAINING 7 pounds since. I looked better 3 months postpartum. Ugh. I had been saying that I hate to diet, so I just want to work out regularly, which I had not done before, and figured I'd get into shape. Doesn't seem to be working like I planned though. Bummer.

So I joined mfp about a week ago at the suggestion of a good friend, and got a real look at the number of calories I usually consume. WAY too many! But I am so hungry! I am breastfeeding, which I added as a one-minue exercise that burns 500 calories, and that allows me 2000 calories a day. Seemed like it would be easy, but I feel like I'm totally deprived. I have gone over all the days so far, until today. I woke up this morning and decided (in the words of my wise pastor) that I needed to "DO IT" we always know what it is we need to be doing, he says, we just don't do it.

I am lacking self discipline. I have the motivation, and the tools, but am struggling with the hunger as I think I was used to eating more like 3500 (seriously) calories a day until now. It's amazing I wasn't gaining at an alarming rate!

I'm up for any good (and safe for both me and baby) advice on curbing appetite. And hello to everybody out there working so hard to be healthy!

23 pounds to go.......

Riely

Replies

• Anne1882
    Anne1882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry, you need to go back in and fix it so it allows you more calories, i had to do that because i would binge after i got home from work b/c i was hungry. After i added 200 calories, the weight started coming off! :laugh: Hope this helps and good luck! :drinker:
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    try to add fiber to all your meals. Fiber makes you feel fuller and it keeps you regular.
    Eat everything whole grain
    no refined products for these do the exact opposite of what i just mentioned.
    lots of fruit and veggies
    And consume water as your drink of choice with all your meals.

General Mills have a great Fiber line. (cereals, granola bars, waffles, muffins and yogurts). All low calorie too.

Good luck
  • RielyHarris
    RielyHarris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and Columbiana, congrats, you look great!!

I do need that fiber....
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) Hard work pays off
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It might not just be how many calories but what are the calories coming from. I find chewing gun does help with curving, not hunger, but cravings to eat when not hungry. I also found that after my daughter was born I was not drinking enough water, which my body construed as not thirst but hunger. I also realized I was eating a lot of empty calories that were fast but did nothing for my body. (like cookies).

I found that by eating things high in protein or in fiber helped me feel fuller longer. I carried around a 1liter nalgene bottle of water everywhere I went and started going for walks every day. My daughter slept better and I felt better when we went for our strolls.

I stopped breast feeding 5 months ago but one thing I noticed was that I was eating to stay awake at the late night feedings. I started reading web comics late at night instead. I wasn't really hungry, just bored and tired.

I hope some of these help. Good Luck.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the best site ever. You will love this site. I :heart: it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • RielyHarris
    RielyHarris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mom of two, and I'm with you that what I really need is strength from the Holy Spirit....through Christ all things really are possible, and I need to lean on him for support. He hasn't failed yet!

Riely