p90x and weight loss goals

I've always wondered about p90x since I've heard about it but have been skeptical, mainly for two reasons:

1) I'm not sure I want to pay for another fitness item. I pay 56$ for my gym and (i forget the cost now but it seemed high)
2) would it actually work for what I'm hoping to get.
3) Space- dont you need a on a door and enough room to do the things in the dvd?

Usually at the gym I run and I do some crunches... What are some general thoughts on p90x?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    p90x is fine and all, but if you have a gym membership, you can get SO MUCH MORE done. Start with a lifting routine

5x5 is free and easy to learn
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is so AWESOME! Rippetoe is the Julian Micheal's of proper form and strength.
  • P90x is great for people who don't have a gym membership or it's hard to get to the gym. I personally am not a gym person. I like to save time getting to and from the gym, and sweat in private :) LOL. Plus I have small kids and workout when I put them to bed - I wouldn't be able to leave to go to a gym. I have a FREE gym at work and don't even go there. oh and there is the cost of the gym - $56/month seems like a lot? is that the going rate these days?

As far as equipment You can do P90x with bands instead of a pull up bar so you don't need a door per se but you need enough room (probably a 6x6 space) to do the exercises.

Full disclosure - I am a beachbody coach BUT I'm all about doing what works for you. That being said I'm not sure what you mean by "for what I'm hoping to get" - what are your goals? if you goals are to increase muscle mass and tone, running and crunches alone won't get you there. you do need some kind of strength training either at the gym or a program like P90x.

P90x is not for the faint of heart and you will need to dedicate time each day to doing it (most of the workouts are an hour - 6x a week) I have seen AMAZING results from people who fully committed to the program.
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    I am not a Beachbody coach but I believe in their products. I believe the reason why P90X is the most popular fitness dvd ever is due to the amount of progress made in just 90 days. Yes, I am skeptical of alot of things and didnt believe in the program would work until I saw a friend of mine who had fantastic results.

So flashback to 2009 and my husband and I purchase and commit to p90x. He is 6'4" and was around 210 seems reasonable but its what they call skinny fat. He was higher in bf%. He follows the program to a T except he did eat dairy and got ripped! Best shape Ive ever seen him in. A really good 4 pack....alomost 6. The V shape, awsome shoulders, lats, ect. Even sweet oblique lines. If you follow the program, push as hard as you can every time, and get your cals dialed in, you will see huge progress.

Do what works for you.....but Ive also seen guys do a years worth of work for what you can get with P90X in 90 days.

You will need a variety of weights, powerblocks are prob the cheapest way to go or bands. But I think the free weighs are better. Hope that helps. Im doing hybrid p90x and insanity now :)
  • Thanks for the thoughts already on this. In regards to my gym price, no that's not the normal rate around here but the gym I go to is very nice. I never wait for a treadmill, they all have built in tvs, they offer towels for use, they have a hot tub and a suana. Right now I don't do much with the weights. The problem is I don't have a routine. I'm sure if I could get started on one then I would be inclined to do it. They offer assesments every so often so maybe I will see about getting something set up when I go in tomorrow.
    They also offer several types of fitness classes from yoga, to spinning and who knows what else-- another thing I have yet to take advantage of in my time there. I've tried other gyms but I always end up keeping this one, it's close to where I will be moving (in with my fiance) and a few of my friends also belong there and we workout together sometimes.