1200 Calorie diet

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie diet... Am I also allowed more calories after I excersised? For instance I am on a 1200 calorie diet, I took a brisk walk, burned 122 calories... So I am allowed 122 more calories?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • DairByNature
    DairByNature Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    me to :-) & thank god u can eat what u burnt off, well im trying to eat half of wat i burnt off hope your doing well with it all x x :smile:
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes. It can be tricky to get your "brain" to be ok with it. I'm training for a half marathon and I'm also on a 1200 calorie diet. Sunday I ran 6 miles. I burned over 700 calories. It was hard to think, wow, now I have to eat 1900 calories. Most days I don't eat all of my workout calories, but I tend to lose more if I do. Your body will start to go into starvation mode. Not for a couple hundred, but somedays I've only eaten 400 cal after working out.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some people eat their exercise calories, some don't and some eat some of them back. You just have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • z4babe
    Options
    Can I just say, the only way to lose weight is to burn more than you eat. So although they tell you you can eat to recover those extra calories, it would be pointless to do so.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I vote yes. Fueling your body is important if improved health is what you're after. If you eat back your exercise cals, you're still likely eating at a deficit bc MFP accounts for this. So you'll lose weight.

Eat. Live. Don't suffer. This doesn't have to hurt.
  • DelSchro
    DelSchro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was on a 1200 calorie diet for 2 months and did not eat back my exercise calories and was able to lose 10lbs but then hit a stand still so I asked other for some advice on whether or not you should eat back calories especially on the days you burn a lot of calories.
    The advice i got was yes, after a while your body will go into starvation mode and will hang onto the fat instead of losing fat and building muscle. The trick is to increase your protein intake and eat good calories. Don't just eat to eat.
    I tried this for a week and after not losing much for the couple weeks prior I was able to lose 1.6lbs.
    I eat 1500 calories and the days I have heavy workouts I usually eat about 300 calories more.

You have to see what works for your body!

Good Luck!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat my calories back some days I don't. Just depends how famished I am.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, the only way to lose weight is to burn more than you eat. So although they tell you you can eat to recover those extra calories, it would be pointless to do so.

Obviously you don't know how the site works. The calorie deficit is already built in.
  • dradams13
    dradams13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are Hungry, eat the calories. If not then don't. Just make sure you eat enough.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

I think you need to go back and read the site better.. MFP already builds in a deficit based on food alone.. Eating your exercise calories will still keep you at a deficit.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yeppers. 1200 is just the number of calories you need every day for your body to function properly. If you work off some of those calories, you need to replace them.
  • AWyatt88
    AWyatt88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Make sure you keep refueling your body with good food, like fresh fruits and veggies or high protein foods like nuts :)
  • mfjutras
    mfjutras Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You can eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight. The 1200 calorie limit INCLUDES the deficit to lose weight. Exercising is just extra calories burned that you are allowed to eat (and encouraged to do so if working out hard).
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes always eat your exercise calories.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Umm... This would be true if you were eating calories at a maintenance level. If you select to lose 1lb per week under your goals on this site the deficit is part of that goal. It's even listed to the right on that same page. Therefore not eating your exercise calories would increase that deficit... but you could still eat those calories and maintain the same deficit to still lose 1lb per week.
  • fieldsbean
    Options
    don't be snappy..we are all working for the common goal. i am failing because i am in love with food, and the calories i burn off get eaten ..i have to try harder. no excuse..can't blame anyone (husband just brought me a grilled cheese sandwich..could have said no thank you and had a salad..but..i ate it..now i have to work harder..no one's fault but mine. He was just being nice.

One day at a time..right? If we are at least trying ,then we are not failing. the numbers are all different..Just watched biggest loser last night and a sister and brother both lost over 20 lbs in one month to get back into the camp..they pushed eachother..that is why we need friends on here!! to give advice, encourage..and help..

my motto:

NEVER GIVE UP..NEVER SURRENDER.. please friend me if you agree, i need support and like to give it as well!
  • maemitc
    maemitc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the answers to a question I had. I will play with what works to see should I eat more or not.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Although your first statement is true, it applies to a normal diet where you eat enough calories to sustain your weight. MFP already puts you at a calorie deficit which means you will lose weight (at whatever pace you chose when you signed up) without even exercising as long as you eat up to the calorie amount given.

That being said, if you are only allowed 1200 calories, you will definitely lose weight just eating that. If you burn 400 calories, your body will only net 800 calories, which is unhealthy and could cause you to retain water and weight because your body thinks it is starving.