P90X calories??

Options
Anyone know how many calories P90X Ab Ripper Burns?
Thanks...

Replies

• mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Depending on your intensity, 80-100 calories would be the norm for completing the whole set. I base that on my average burn of 400 cals per strength routine divided by four. I'm sure it varies a bit, but that's my base guess.
  • lovinlife581
    lovinlife581 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just got a new heart rate monitor yesterday and wore it for my Core Synergistics workout last night and found I only burned 371 calories. They say the P90X routines are supposed to burn 600 calories. Now granted, it was only my first time doing this CS workout and instead of doing running chatarangas, I did fall on the mat at times. But other than that, I was staying in there with the routine, picking up weights most of the times when it was optional, and by the end, I was dripping with sweat. Why is my calorie burn so low?
  • mrd232
    Options
    I just got a new heart rate monitor yesterday and wore it for my Core Synergistics workout last night and found I only burned 371 calories. They say the P90X routines are supposed to burn 600 calories. Now granted, it was only my first time doing this CS workout and instead of doing running chatarangas, I did fall on the mat at times. But other than that, I was staying in there with the routine, picking up weights most of the times when it was optional, and by the end, I was dripping with sweat. Why is my calorie burn so low?

Mine is in the 350-450 range for CS, also and I've been doing the program for some time. The "600" average may hold true for Plyo, but for the others it's simply not the case for me. I've read that women should expect more of a 400 calorie burn average through the program versus the 600 in the book.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember with this program is that you are building lean muscle mass, which burns more calories 24/7. So, while you may not burn as many calories per workout, your calorie burn while at rest is increasing significantly.
  • lovinlife581
    Options
    The most important thing to remember with this program is that you are building lean muscle mass, which burns more calories 24/7. So, while you may not burn as many calories per workout, your calorie burn while at rest is increasing significantly.

That 24/7 burn is the thing I love most about lifting weights - that and the pretty muscles, of course. But I'm wondering if there's a different calorie burn when you're doing strength training versus when you're doing strictly cardio that may not be reflected in a heart rate measurement. I know I'm working hard when I'm lifting weights (I try to lift as heavy as I can while still keeping good form), but my heart rate may still be lower than when I'm jumping around. Is the heart rate measurement still a pretty accurate way to calculate calories burned in this case?
  • mrd232
    Options
    I usually go by perceived exertion level with strength training. If you're really feeling beat after the workout or sweating up a storm, those are two great signs. Sometimes it's difficult to calculate an exact caloric burn with just an HR monitor, but it will give you a good idea. Judging by your numbers from the HR monitor, I'd say you're doing very well on the CS.
  • sandy429
    Options
    There is a different calorie burn because they are two different types of fitness training. If you are really giving it your all to the weight sessions, your heart rate will go up (I know pullups get my heart rate up every time), but it's not the same as a cardio session. However, the afterburn is what you're after. Cardio workouts burn calories for up to 6 hours after you finish the routine. Strength training burns calories for up to 36 hours after you finish.

Don't stress too much about the numbers. Show up everyday for the workouts; give it your all; eat clean and well; and you'll see results.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Hi, there was a good discussion about how to set you HRM.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55816-hrm-accuracy?hl=hrm+accuracy&page=1#posts-639966
    I have not done that it is recommended here, but going to.
    btw, 371 cals for CS is pretty good! Good job!
  • lovinlife581
    Options
    434 for CS today. Great workout! I really enjoyed it. Still fell on the mat at some points, but I got back up.

Thanks for all the advice. I found the instructions on how to set my heart rate limits on my HR monitor. I just need to figure out what the values are. I'll check out the link listed earlier in the thread.'

Have a good night!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Sandy, when is Insanity coming out? I keep getting teaser emails from BB. Know anything about it, how many workout cds, cost, etc...? Thanks.
  • sandy429
    Options
    Sandy, when is Insanity coming out? I keep getting teaser emails from BB. Know anything about it, how many workout cds, cost, etc...? Thanks.

I had heard June, but now it looks like they will release it in July. I'm really anxious to get started, so I hope they hurry up!

No idea what the cost will be, but here's what you'll get (as far as I know):

Items included in package:
    • 10 DVDs
    • Nutrition guide
    • Fitness guide and diary
    • Wall calendar
    • Plus a motivational CD

Workout Line-Up:
    Dig Deeper/Fit Test
    Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Cardio Power & Resistance
    Cardio Recovery/Max Recovery
    Pure Cardio/Cardio Abs
    Cardio Abs
    Core Cardio & Balance
    Max Interval Circuit
    Max Interval Plyo
    Max Cardio Conditioning/Cardio Abs
  • Itiswell
    Itiswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new here. Just started P90X and not sure how to log it in in the exercise log. I wear a heart rate monitor but it doesn't tell me calories burned. Is there a specific calculation I can do to figure out how many calories I'm burning or is it really just a guesstimate?? Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks!