over calories but eating healthy?! dangerous??

Options
does anyone have this problem? sometimes i over eat, going over my 1200 calorie limit, but its not junk food at all!
its stuff like oatmeal, nuts, veggies and fruit. i try to eat as clean as possible.

even if its all good and healthy, can you put on weight by eating too much of this?

thanks! :)

Replies

• Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you definitely can gain weight eating healthy food. :sad:

I played with my cal goal - seeing what 1/2 lb per week loss is and what maintain weight is. That is my allowed range. So I go over my goal, but as long as I'm within my range, I will be losing in the long run. This theory has given me a very consistent slow & steady weight loss :drinker:

Also, you should search 1200 in the forums - there are a lot of people that believe that's not enough (depending on your height and activity level).
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How much over 1200 are you going? It's probably not going to affect you at all unless you're going over 2k on a daily basis. In all reality if you're sticking between 1400-1600 you're still going to lose weight and it'll probably be better of for you in the long run.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Sadly, your body doesn't differentiate between healthy and unhealthy calories. Both will cause you to gain weight. You shouldn't really think of foods in terms of healthy and unhealthy anyways. Besides having a well rounded diet it's better to think of food in terms of energy/calorie density, especially with regard to weight loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sadly, your body doesn't differentiate between healthy and unhealthy calories. Both will cause you to gain weight. You shouldn't really think of foods in terms of healthy and unhealthy anyways. Besides having a well rounded diet it's better to think of food in terms of energy/calorie density, especially with regard to weight loss.

^ this, although i will say i highly doubt your TDEE is 1200, so by going over that amount you are just creating a smaller deficit but likely still in a caloric deficit
  • snaptate
    snaptate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Make sure your protein intake is higher than your carb intake...nuts and seeds are great for you! if you go over one day, get back on track the next. Dangerous no, if you eat alot of processed crap and refined junk..yup..bad!! Eat from mother eath, she will always take care of you!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising and eating back those calories?

I starve on 1200, but because I burn roughly 900 calories per day with exercise, I'm eating really well and still shrinking.
  • jleveque
    jleveque Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jessica,
    I have tried it all. Unfortunately calories in and calories out is what really matters especially with me needing to loose another 80 pounds! If you excersise enough and are burning calories you do get additonal food to eat. I purchased a fitbit and logged it in with fitnesspal and as I work out it sends messages back that I have an additional 100 to 400 calories each day. I am avoiding using them as I want to loose as much as is healthy and don't want to get into the habit of snacking. I recently got stuck for about four days not loosing at all and going back into my diary finding I have not been eating all the cals that I am suppose to for my goal. I added the calories the following day and dropped 3 pounds the next morning weigh in! My wife is trying to loose weight also. About twenty pounds. She has found so many great delicous meals to eat that really fill you up. If you like what you eat as I have been it REALLY helps fight the hunger pains between meals. There are so many choices now I can't stand it. Am so greatful for my wife and finess pal. Keep fighting and best of luck!
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thank you all! yes i am very active and on a normal training day will burn 1000+ calories. i am 5"8 and work out 5-6 times a week, so i am thinking 1200 might be a little low. i binge a lot, sometimes on 'good' stuff like oatmeal and nuts, so i am just curious as to see if this will make me put on weight, even if it isnt chocolate/cake/cookies!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    thank you all! yes i am very active and on a normal training day will burn 1000+ calories. i am 5"8 and work out 5-6 times a week, so i am thinking 1200 might be a little low. i binge a lot, sometimes on 'good' stuff like oatmeal and nuts, so i am just curious as to see if this will make me put on weight, even if it isnt chocolate/cake/cookies!

I really don't think you're giving yourself enough calories. I'm 5' 3.5" and my range is 1440-1690 and I only workout 3x per week. I've stuck to that pretty well and lost 5.5 lbs in a couple months and I tend to eat back most of my burned calories. I bet you're binging because you're STARVING! Adjust your goal to lose 1/2 lb per week and eat back most of your calories. Search the forums for 1200 or starvation mode and read up on it.

(Sorry to be bossy pants; I'm just concerned for your well being :flowerforyou: )