Not the grammar police

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I am by far the grammar police (since I'm not perfect!), but there are some things that really bug me when people don't use correct grammar. Things like:

There - as in "It's over there"
Their - as in 'It's their thing over there"
They're - as in "They're over there with their thing"
Loose - as in "These pants feel loose now that I've lose weight"
Lose - as in "I'd like to lose some more weight so these pants fall off"

Got any grammar irritations?

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I teach middle school keyboarding/word processing/desktop publishing. Do you really want me to get started? :laugh:

JM
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It irritates me to no end when people say "I seen", instead of "I saw" or "I've seen."

Also, it's "should've", not "should of".....or "could of" instead of "could've."
  • jmartin1219
    jmartin1219 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mainly use this site for tracking food, but when I saw this post I had to respond! My husband's family omits words sometimes and I don't why it bothers me at all but sometimes it does.

They will say, "this shirt needs washed" instead of "needs to be washed" or this "needs done" instead of "needs to be done."

Like I said, it shouldn't bother me, but maybe because they all do it I hear it more often. LOL
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    It irritates me to no end when people say "I seen", instead of "I saw" or "I've seen."

This one drives me nuts, too. Unfortunately it's usually someone being interviewed on the news about witnessing something... "I seen this guy run out of the store..."

GAH!
  • chardondave
    Options
    The misuse of the world "literally" is my biggest pet peeve; but the loose/lose thing is gaining ground..... :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I mainly use this site for tracking food, but when I saw this post I had to respond! My husband's family omits words sometimes and I don't why it bothers me at all but sometimes it does.

They will say, "this shirt needs washed" instead of "needs to be washed" or this "needs done" instead of "needs to be done."

Like I said, it shouldn't bother me, but maybe because they all do it I hear it more often. LOL

They from Pittsburgh? Everyone here does that. When you point out the correct way they don't believe you.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be another stupid post about the loose/lose thing on MFP, glad it's not! Don't get me wrong, it bothers me too but come on, get over it!

Most of my grammar irritations are when people just type in one big long sentence without any type of punctuation except maybe a comma here or there I mean is it really that hard to just use those two little keys and insert a period to make it sound like you've paused to take a breath because really I cannot be the only one that reads sentences like that like the person just drew in one big breath before typing and let it all out at the end I mean I really can't stand it when people type like that errrr it just bugs me!

See? Annoying.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    As the worst speller in the world, I have only one: A lot is 2 words!!!! Please don't use it unless you have to but it's always two words.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be another stupid post about the loose/lose thing on MFP, glad it's not! Don't get me wrong, it bothers me too but come on, get over it!

Most of my grammar irritations are when people just type in one big long sentence without any type of punctuation except maybe a comma here or there I mean is it really that hard to just use those two little keys and insert a period to make it sound like you've paused to take a breath because really I cannot be the only one that reads sentences like that like the person just drew in one big breath before typing and let it all out at the end I mean I really can't stand it when people type like that errrr it just bugs me!

See? Annoying.

I call it "stream of consciousness" and it drives me crazy as well. This is basically my favorite cartoon ever...http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Wait, how is this one different?
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I call it "stream of consciousness" and it drives me crazy as well. This is basically my favorite cartoon ever...http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

I *heart* The Oatmeal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    .....and we need another post about this, why? Have you read the guidelines?
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Your vs. you're.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    grammar-police.png
  • Jmonz
    Jmonz Posts: 7
    Options
    I am ashockingly particular about grammar (just like a really old person!!) but the following really bug me....

- bought (past tense of buy) and brought (past tense of bring)

- the use of bet as the past tense of beat eg "Nadel bet Federerer in 2009" should be "Nadal beat Federer in 2009"

- the over use of the word that in written english - read the sentence without the word "that" and if it still makes sense, it didn't need to be there!
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1. When people say 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically'
    2. 'I gave 110%' (ok, not so much grammar as impossible but still winds me up!)
    3. the their/there/they're thing
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    So, by far, do you feel better now? :flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Oh, you must be new here.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I hate when my wife tells me no, and I know she really means yes.