NSV I Went for a Run!!!

Options
I’m a full time grad student and I work full time, I’m losing weight and I’m eating really well and the little time I have left in my day I usually allocate to sleeping, homework and having just enough fun that I don’t feel the bottomless pit of depression that occasionally threatens to swallow me whole. I deserve a break, and those are just some of my very convincing excuses on why I was only exercising once every two weeks. But yesterday, I stopped making excuses. I didn’t run a mile and I didn’t walk ten miles and I didn’t break any records, but I started. I did something. I ran faster and farther than I did the day before and I think that is all that matters. So today I am enjoying the soreness and appreciating the pride I feel in the fact that I earned that and hopefully one day I will feel proud of the way I look and know that I earned that too and in the meantime maybe someone can get some inspiration from me. So my tiny little victory, I walked 1 and 3/4 miles and I RAN 1/4 mile!! Here is to hoping within a month I can get that up to a mile :)

Replies

• Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!! Good for you!! I love to hear it when people first start running!!! There's something about how you feel afterwards, that is so empowering!!! Keep it up!! I would highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. It'll take 30 mins out of your day, and the program is AWESOME!! (and free, so that's even better!!) It will have you running 30 mins non stop before you even realize it!! :happy:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm trying C25K right now too, if you really want to run more, maybe give it a try? I thought I would NEVER run!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations :)
  • kjordan0
    kjordan0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started!

I agree with determined and babs - try a couch to 5k program. I used one with an iphone app (http://www.active.com/mobile.htm). I am 41, and started running at 260 pounds, and had not run since they forced us to in high school gym. The interval aspect of the program is key to becomming better. For example, the first week you run one minute, then walk 2 minutes, then run 1, etc. It is awesone in that you start out slow and then can really see your progress each week. It is not about the mileage, but more about the time intervals. I finished one last fall, could barely do the 1 minute runs in the first week, but ran my first 5k at the end of it in 39 minutes, and now run 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week. It is crazy, but I'm totally hooked and now have registered for a 5 mile run in March and a 10 mile run in May (following a new program to get ready for that one)!
  • charlieduc
    Options
    Yay! That is awesome...it is all about building yourself up. Keep it up girl :)
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That's a great NSV!! Congrats!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, be proud of yourself!
  • nhibbitts
    nhibbitts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You did an awesome job! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!