Eating exercise calories

Options
Please help! I know this comes up a lot but I'm STILL confused on this....my calorie goal is 1200, based on a sedentary lifestyle (I knew when i started how much my workout routine varies when I'm working, so I wanted to be able to be able to enter it manually). If I then burn another 1000 calories a day, do I still need to net 1200 calories? That's 2200 calories! On the other hand I've been taking in between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and burning between 1700 and 2000 calories for over a month and that's sure not working.... Please help, I'm so confused!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Eat them back! Make sure however that you are accurately logging calories burned... this site tends to overestimate what you have actually burned via workouts.
  • celerieaz
    celerieaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are actually doing a really intense workout during which you burn 1000 calories, yes you need to eat a lot of them back. However, most people overestimate what they burn through exercise. To give you some context, running stairs for an hour straight burns about 1000 calories, as does jump roping for 75-90 minutes. If you are doing such intense cardio, you will need to refuel with more calories!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM, so relatively accurate on calories - and on days that I earn a lot, I eat some of it - up to 3/4 back...If i don't burn much, I don't always eat it back....
    BUT do not eat under too much, it does not work.....