Tonsillitis....can I work out??

Options
Hey everyone!

Unfortunately i've caught my daughters Cold and as per usual it goes straight to my tonsils (they won't take them out as have it less than 5 times a year!). Its not on my chest its purely swollen very painful tonsils and a sniffly nose.
Today was my rest day but I really don't want to take any days off from training.
Shall I just stick to strength training and light cardio? I was thinking maybe a swim and then upper body weights tomorrow?
Whats everyones views/experiences on this?

xxx

Replies

• ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    eeeek...I think you need to seriously REST...I know it will be hard because you want to work out, but your body is already fighting off the cold/tonsilitis.....
    Good luck and take care of yourself!
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    eeeek...I think you need to seriously REST...I know it will be hard because you want to work out, but your body is already fighting off the cold/tonsilitis.....

Boo was hoping you wouldn't say this! lol I feel ok(ish) apart from being in pain. Will just keep taking my vitamins, eating 1200cals if i'm not exercising and hoping to get outside for at least a walk. xxx
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    if you caught it from your daughter than someone else can catch it from you... do the general public a favor and stay home!!! feel better soon :)
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I would agree with rest-I had tonsillitis 3 times in a row 2 years ago and my doctor told me not to run for 2 weeks after I recovered. You need to let your body fight it properly. It's horrible, hope you feel better soon.
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    if you caught it from your daughter than someone else can catch it from you... do the general public a favor and stay home!!! feel better soon :)

What you mean I can't go kissing strangers? DAMN IT!!! :) I will try my best to keep myself in quarantine I promise. Haha I just did so well on weight loss and inches lost last month i'm scared this bug is going to de-rail my weight loss and get me de-motivated :(
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Boo was hoping you wouldn't say this! lol I feel ok(ish) apart from being in pain. Will just keep taking my vitamins, eating 1200cals if i'm not exercising and hoping to get outside for at least a walk. xxx

you need more than 1200 calories for your body to recover. when i was sick last week, i couldnt stick to my 1600 calories because my body needed extra rest and nutrition to fight off my illness. Once i started not worrying about that stuff, i got better much quicker.

Side note: I had tonsillitis 5 times in 2 months about 3 years ago and they STILL didnt take the damn things out.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Major Bummer, Dude.

I think you should lay off the actual exercise. If (IF) you are going stir crazy and IF you feel up to it, just take a slow walk. Breath some fresh air and try and stay away from those people throwing out random kisses :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    As someone who suffered from tonsil problems up until my mid-30's, I offer 2 bits of wisdom:

1) it's really contagious, the best thing is to stay in until at least day 2 of antibiotic treatment

2) I had the chance to have mine taken out and opted not to after a friend's wife did and spent almost 2 months straight going to the ER every day or two when the incision opened up again. They can't sew that tissue!! Maybe it's different now but in the 90's, an adult tonsillectomy was an *extremely* risky procedure.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I suffer from tonsilitus several times a year so I feel your pain! I would rest, in my experience I have made my symptoms worse by pushing myself to go to college or work or workout. Your body will love you for the chance to heal fully and get back to full health!
    If your symptoms get worse you should see a doctor for penicillin tablets, it usually clears up a viral infection in a couple of days. :-)
    Hope you feel better soon :-) x