Anyone else over 50 with over 100 pounds to lose?

Options
Hello all, I'm just starting to use MFP today but have been looking through the boards for a few days and haven't really come across anyone who's dealing with the same situation I am. I'm 57, somewhere between 140-160 pounds overweight. No health problems, but have been sedentary all my life and feel like I'm starting from scratch exercise-wise. Have started lots of diets but never stuck with them, and am determined that this time will be different, because I'm getting too old to mess around.

Would love to hear from anyone in the same boat. I have nothing against younger people or those with less to lose, of course not! Would just like to befriend some folks who are facing the same issues-- if anyone is out there.

Replies

• shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca,
    My name is Rebecca and I am 57 and over 400 lbs, I have lost 21 lbs since starting the week before Christmas. I am not much of a writer and am currently involved with the group of people who need to lose over 100 lbs. They are a great group of supporters and there are all ages there as well. Good luck to you.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat got a 100 pounds to lose, was a tuff go for the first few days and weeks but, stuck to loggin in and recordign the food and exercise i did and slowly the weight has come off. the hard part for me was to stop eating and finishing off every last thing and clearin the plates and eating what the kids didnt eat. once i got over that it has been ok, I do slip at times and eat too much but that reminds me of hey I lost that weight now i have to lose it agin and it was hard to lose the first time so the 2nd time makes it that much harder so it keeps me from doing that too often.. so stick to your plan and it will come off. good luck.
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "Hi," Becca! My name is Marca and I need to loose about 140 lbs. I have been at my goal at least 2 times in my life time. I am 60 years old and like you, it is time to become really serious about my life. I am not in good health. I just try to not think of how far I have to go and just take one day at a time. It is hard for me to excerise or even walk because of my feet and legs. Just hang in there and we can all loose this weight together!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca! Welcome! I am 55 and started the last week of July. I needed to lose at least 160 and have lost 83 so far. I would love to walk this journey with you on MFPal. Add me if you like.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Dalgal, you are wonderful. It has been tough since I am well over 400 lbs and have a lot of health issues, so I have not been doing any exercise except trying to walk more at work and going to the bathroom more often because of drinking water, LOL!! But it will get better. I am doing this as my life now, not a diet or anything. I am so glad you are my friend. We can all motivate and support each other.

btw, what is everyone's take on what is considered "water" anything besides just water? or does Crystal LIght or Mio in the water count? My daughter said I could not count coffee since it is a diruetic, that I understand, LOL!!
  • lexidell46
    Options
    I have over 100 lbs to get rid of I have been at it for a week now and have gotten rid of 9 lbs of it love this program.
  • jjred40
    Options
    I am 53 years old and would love to lose about 150 pounds and would love to add people for help and encouragement to keep up the job. Hopefully to get tips and recipes. Add me:flowerforyou:
  • spookie10
    Options
    I try to see my goal as eating healthy and being active so I can feel good...all else will follow.
  • Aleia54
    Aleia54 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I just joined today and will be starting my weight loss journey tomorrow, i'm 57 years old and, have about 117lbs to lose, i would love to join some friends on this journey.:smile:

Aleia
    xx