Sugar intake?????

Options
I am having a very difficult time staying within my sugar intake limit. It is 24 and I am eating fruit as snacks mostly but even the sugar in those add up quickly. This morning I had a Slim Fast drink and I am already over it by 10. I don't have diabetes but it does run in my family so I am trying to "nip it in the bud" so to speak. I really do care for the "sugar free" taste of foods so I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it!

Rhonda

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Is it SUGAR or sugars? I mean is it really added sugar in your diet or the natural sweetness of fruits and milk, etc?
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't like that food labels don't differentiate between added sugars and those naturally found in foods. The added sugars are the ones you need to watch out for. Reading labels is really the only way to find out how much added sugar is in something -- the higher on the list sugar, HFCS, cane juice, any ingredient ending in "-ose", etc -- the more of it is in the food. Try to keep your added sugar to a bare minimum and I wouldn't worry so much about the naturally occurring ones in fruits, veggies and grains. When they're naturally packaged with fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, etc, your body reacts to them much differently than when they're added into foods.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Is it SUGAR or sugars? I mean is it really added sugar in your diet or the natural sweetness of fruits and milk, etc?

I am counting any type of sugar whether it be natural from fruits or milk or a peice of candy (which I usually don't eat but occassionally).
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    I don't like that food labels don't differentiate between added sugars and those naturally found in foods. The added sugars are the ones you need to watch out for. Reading labels is really the only way to find out how much added sugar is in something -- the higher on the list sugar, HFCS, cane juice, any ingredient ending in "-ose", etc -- the more of it is in the food. Try to keep your added sugar to a bare minimum and I wouldn't worry so much about the naturally occurring ones in fruits, veggies and grains. When they're naturally packaged with fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, etc, your body reacts to them much differently than when they're added into foods.

Thank you it is just when I saw it go over first thing in the morning, it really concerns me that I am eating to much.
    Thanks,
    Rhonda