Not how I wanted to look...(pics)

Options

Replies

• buckobuckobucko
    Options
    Bump

What does this mean?? Keep seeing it in other posts, but have no idea...

It means you have nothing to say but you want the thread to return to the top of the message board list.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think the shirring in the waist of the purple dress is just like the shirring in the waist of the red dress - and its not doing you any favors.

I agree with others that has said a non-clingy fabric in an a-line or empire waist will hide your tummy a lot better - and maybe some shapewear???
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    if you really love those dresses, spanx will fix your tummy issue. They are MAGICAL. Holy crap. Just bought my first pair for a dress I have the same problem with (fits but you can see my belly pooching out) and it really does fix that problem.

I agree the top on the purple will be a little nicer but the red isn't atrocious on you so wear it if you like it.
  • LastHopeForMe
    Options
    The red one is great for parties!

You have a wonderful skin and I think you are beautiful in it.
    I think in few weeks of MFP, you'll look more and more beautiful.

You shouldn't check the mannequine picture, but a picture of you before starting diet and this one you posted.
    I felt so happy when I started to loose weight and I watched myself in the mirror wearing an old pair of trousers to find them... a little bit bigger :blushing:

I suggest you to put the red one on again every 4 - 5 weeks and take a picture. Print them and put it all together.
    The most important thing is to know your own body, so you shouldn't hope to become a mannequine :wink:

P.s. the purple one is great and you can use it, after the party, to meet friends and so on, if you use a big beads necklace =)
    It will become more "casual". (e.g. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/863722832_cdc347f57b.jpg -NOT suggesting to buy or make this one, only to show you what I mean with big beads, as I don't know if it's understandable in English... I'm Italian...)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the second one is going to be a lot more flattering. It'll help balance your upper half. I may be shot for saying this, but I wouldn't dream of wearing either dress (even a skinny me!) without Spanx. Two reasons: one, because I detest being able to see someone's navel through a dress, and shudder to think that someone could see mine--even the purple dress on the model (mannequin?) shows the shadow of the navel, and two, it ensures a clean line down the thighs. Good old fashioned control top pantyhose will do the same thing, but those always roll down on me.

There's a reason why everyone buys unsexy underwear for weddings, and it's to wear sexy dresses :P Believe me, I've worked in a lingerie store.

----

No offense, but I think you could do better. I think you'd be hotter in something else. The dresses you're picking out seem to be designed for a different shape (flattering for those with large hips). Tho the shorter one is probably the better of the two. I have a fitted dress in mind that a friend has that is absolutely stunning (and it's ripply) but I'm not sure what it's called or who makes it or what the styles like (kinda like the purple but in satin). I recommend satin.

I did a google search for prom dresses and think this style would be hot on you (just an opinion that works in my brain but maybe not in person lol):
    draft_lens2403783module13717132photo_1294689422plus-size-prom-dress.jpg
    I also think there's nothing wrong with the strapless idea, just the shape of the dress. Guys love booby dresses.
    41.jpg
    fuchsia-Strapless-mermaid-prom-gown.jpg
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the second one is going to be a lot more flattering. It'll help balance your upper half. I may be shot for saying this, but I wouldn't dream of wearing either dress (even a skinny me!) without Spanx. Two reasons: one, because I detest being able to see someone's navel through a dress, and shudder to think that someone could see mine--even the purple dress on the model (mannequin?) shows the shadow of the navel, and two, it ensures a clean line down the thighs. Good old fashioned control top pantyhose will do the same thing, but those always roll down on me.

There's a reason why everyone buys unsexy underwear for weddings, and it's to wear sexy dresses :P Believe me, I've worked in a lingerie store.

----

No offense, but I think you could do better. I think you'd be hotter in something else. The dresses you're picking out seem to be designed for a different shape (flattering for those with large hips). Tho the shorter one is probably the better of the two. I have a fitted dress in mind that a friend has that is absolutely stunning (and it's ripply) but I'm not sure what it's called or who makes it or what the styles like (kinda like the purple but in satin). I recommend satin.

I did a google search for prom dresses and think this style would be hot on you (just an opinion that works in my brain but maybe not in person lol):
    draft_lens2403783module13717132photo_1294689422plus-size-prom-dress.jpg
    I also think there's nothing wrong with the strapless idea, just the shape of the dress. Guys love booby dresses.
    41.jpg
    fuchsia-Strapless-mermaid-prom-gown.jpg

that green one is smokin' hot...you're built just like me, and halter style and maxi style dresses are super flattering. the raised waist makes me look 8 months pregnant because i'm all belly...just keep that in mind too...but yeah maxi, a-line, halter style are built for us
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    i love it:)
    just make sure you get a good size that flatters your mid segstion not points it out.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    that green one is smokin' hot...you're built just like me, and halter style and maxi style dresses are super flattering. the raised waist makes me look 8 months pregnant because i'm all belly...just keep that in mind too...but yeah maxi, a-line, halter style are built for us
    I think the raised waist with the poofed bottom makes everyone look pregnant, I freakin' hate them but they're popular now :P

She's all boob too so the high waist might suit her.

And isn't it! I have one that's kinda has the same colors and styling but I'm totally inlove with the material and neckline.

I swear this actually looks good when it's not put next to that dress haha
    30703_10150181667690607_620185606_12191753_3647982_n.jpgdraft_lens2403783module13717132photo_1294689422plus-size-prom-dress.jpg
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    WOW! That green dress is amazing!!!!!! Gorgeous.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Already bought the purple one before I posted initially, so too late to stop the order (it's from china/ebay), but I'm sure I could pull it off, especially after I get to my goal weight. But I have defo taken on board everyone's comments. I actually have a halterneck dress I'm hoping to wear for my dad's 70th birthday party in July, although hoping to be much closer to goal weight by then, but I'm sure I'll still be all boob.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That's cool but do wear a "Nancy Ganz" undergarment with it. It'll shove everything into place. They are commonplace in Hollywood, really! I have a couple. They smooth everything out.

http://bodynancyganz.com/
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You may want to avoid clingy fabrics (jersey, satin, etc) which can show every lump and bump. A structured dress with a high-quality fabric and an A-line design would flatter any type of body such as a sheath dress which never goes out of style. Think a la the "little black dress" that Audrey Hepburns where from Breakfast At Tiffany's - the style is timeless.

The good thing about the purple dress is that it has straps which would provide more support for the chest area. As Stacy London from What Not To Wear would say, "focus on the fit and not the size". I wish you immense success on your fitness journey and hope the dress fits well for you.

this ^
  • ctalimenti
    Options

and this.....you do need an undergarment with garments such as these. Get a full body one with a built in bra. I got mine at Macys. I have a pic if you want to see how smooth it is. Let me know.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Unless your belly is TOTALLY flat, women should avoid dresses that are form fitting across the abdomen, they really make your belly look fat! You have to stop worrying about fashion and wear what looks good on your body type!

I agree. I never wear short dresses, because I have legs like a rugby player. I wear beautiful, long maxi dresses and am always getting complimented on my style. I love the clothes I wear, because they make me feel good, regardless of anyone else. What about a less tight dress with a little waist belt?
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    Ok, I just made the pic of me in a dress my profile pic. I am also wearing a Nancy Ganz (Spanx is the same thing I'm sure) underneath. No naval, no bellybutton!
  • Charlieash
    Charlieash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Well I am sure all the men think you looked hot hot hot. But on the negative side I would wear something that skims your body a bit more. Maybe in a polyester mix material as this does not hug to your body. I am a size 10 - 12, but being 42 have the odd lump or bump, so I wear shift style dresses, I have them quite short to show off my legs which are still good, but cover my boobs.
    It really is a beautiful dress (the red one) but It would be too clingy for me, everyone else may say it looks nice to me, but the most important thing is to look classy I believe. You are stunning, have a beautiful face and a great figure by the looks of it, but I would've put you in something that could move over your body a bit more. My opinion is my opinion though, I have mates that wear skin tight dresses that I hate but its all personal choice. xx
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I looove my shapewear, always wear it under dresses and skirts. I also work in a plus size clothing store so I know a lot of styles that suit different people. NEVER wear an empire waist dress or shirt if you are apple shaped, you will def look pregnant. Best for pear shapes.

Pattern can be you BEST FRIEND. It hides the tummy. Also stripes. There are different sizes of stripes and if you go for the really wide stripes it WILL make you look wider. That also goes for pattern anything. If you choose patterns with big shapes, it will not camouflage the tummy.

Clothes that are fitted for your body shape work best.

And that purple dress is PHENOMENAL!

Another thing though too, those dresses have fabric gathered and when you have a tummy, you lose that gathering and your tummy smooths out the creases that are supposed to be there. (which is where shapewear comes in handy) So sometimes you have to go up a size, and sometimes it doesn't work depending on the rest of your body.. Which sucks.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options

This ^
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I hate buying clothes online because you can't try them out beforehand.

You bought the red dress (which looks great in the photo) and then found that it didn't flatter you, particularly round the tummy area.

The purple one is much better on the upper body, but still has the same unforgiving clingy tummy issue.

I think most people have already made great points about good underwear being important, spanx especially if you want to wear things so clingy. But I'd explore a few different styles and cuts - and actually try them on in a shop - and see what styles might suit you better.

Have fun choosing new clothes!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    hon cept for the belly I think the first looked fine. You're beautiful. The second will flatter you as well. Wear it confidantly.
    -Kimmy
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I love both dresses! I think you will look gorgeous!