Potluck woes

Options
How does everyone deal with counting calories when attending a potluck? I have a luncheon at work coming up and while I try to be good I usually end up trying a little bit of everything. This site has been good with keeping me documenting my food diary/intake but I am not sure how to handle this type of situation. Many of the casseroles or dishes will be ethnic and I have no clue what the calorie count is going to be. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Replies

• LadyFaile
    Options
    I've had to deal with this, and I just did my best to find a similar dish in the food database and estimate the amount eaten. I figure it at least gave me a ballpark number I could deal with.
  • laren1266
    Options
    I went to a pampered chef party last weekend and I planned it into my day. I ate a 200 calorie breakfast with protein, walked a few miles, and drank water at the party. After the party I searched for the items I ate and generally picked the higher calorie entry. I ate a little dinner because I was still full from the party. I stayed within my clorie count for the week & lost weight.
    Remember that this is not a temporary "diet".....it's about working it all in. If you stop and think about it, you will be fine. There are always going to be "events" and we are going to have to eat for the rest of our lives.
  • autumnbottom8
    autumnbottom8 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My work had a potluck a few weeks ago for the Pats game, and we're doing again this Friday for the Superbowl. Last time, I stayed to my dish I brought, or things I could track/know what to track. Also getting smaller portions works too.

Good luck!!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, use a small plate (or designate a section of your large plate that you're going to stick to) and pick small portions of anything that isn't fried, sugary, or covered in mayo (or equal bad-for-you sauces).
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself, and guess about 100 calories per "scoop" of food you eat. Quick-add calories ftw!