Not eating enough=Not losing

Options
I honestly want this explained to me because it makes no sense to my mind. I hear a lot of folks say if you don't eat enough you won't lose weight....then how do anorexic folks become so thin?

Don't get me wrong, I know this is unhealthy and I would never do that to my body, I just don't understand how this makes sense.

Replies

• miss_sarcastic
    Options
    Generally anorexics not only eat not enough...they don't eat hardly at ALL. We're talking 300 cals a day is high for bonafide anorexics. Because of this, their body starts breaking down any fat they have to fuel their body, and when that's done, it's starts getting the amino acids from their muscle stores, hence they literally become skeletons.

Your body needs sufficient amounts of fat, protein, carbs, vits and minerals to keep your physiological processes in good, homeostatic boundaries. You need cholesterol and protein to sustain many of your hormonal balances, which consequently play key roles in your metabolism. If you deprive yourself of these enough, your processes are going to slow down as much as possible to survive on what little you are giving it. So basically, if you don't eat enough (hopefully good) calories, your metabolism rate will slow down so that it can run on what little stores you've provided it. Slow metabolism = slow caloric burn = slow/no weight loss.

Sorry, I took anatomy and physiology of the human body last semester and am taking the second part currently...we're going over endocrinology (hormones) right now haha. :)
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    *added content to my above post*
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Very good explaination.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think what happens when you're on extremely low calorie diets you just don't have the energy and unconsciously are less active throughout the day which translates into a significant reduction in your calories burned even if you're able to maintain your exercise schedule. It's also pretty common for people to under estimate the calories they eat to begin with (up to 30% I think they say) so it wouldn't surprise me if that's even more likely if you're hungry. So I think it's probably a combination of burning less calories and eating more without being aware of it which makes it seem like you're not losing weight because you're not eating enough.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I think what happens when you're on extremely low calorie diets you just don't have the energy and unconsciously are less active throughout the day which translates into a significant reduction in your calories burned even if you're able to maintain your exercise schedule. It's also pretty common for people to under estimate the calories they eat to begin with (up to 30% I think they say) so it wouldn't surprise me if that's even more likely if you're hungry. So I think it's probably a combination of burning less calories and eating more without being aware of it which makes it seem like you're not losing weight because you're not eating enough.

Wait. What?

You want to rethink that? Granted, correct calorie calculations are important, but we aren't talking about that here.

I agree with the physiology poster above.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Wait. What?

You want to rethink that?
    I have thought about it; I wouldn't have posted otherwise. So no, I don't want to rethink it.

"In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight."

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    miss_sarcastic- thanks- that makes sense. I just really needed to wrap my head around this.
  • khbsrt
    khbsrt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm an example for this situation. I've plateaued for 30 days now and my calories are under 1000. This is all I can eat without being uncomfortable. The only way I could take in more calories would be to eat more (volume), or eat food full of fats and sugar. I'm against both. What to do?
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Well. there is a different view regarding this subject all over the world. In Europe people eat around 1000-1200 and workout not really eating back exercise calories and they are skinnier :) I am from Europe and I've tried both system must tell you that it didn't work when I was eating more and also ate back my exercise calories so I say just eat until you are satisfied, but stay around 1000-1200 calorie a day. Drink more then 64 oz of water and workout at least 30-45 minutes a day 5-6 times a week.

If you are interested about what I eat check my site.
    I believe I eat around a 1000-1200 calories a day and I am not hungry but always full :) It matters also what you eat if you eat junk you will get hungry always, if you eat healthy your body won't empty as fast and you won't feel hunger.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Also we believe that the body will slow down after a while, but you will lose after again so don't give up! If you are not losing for a month or two its fine your body just got used to it, but you can challenge yourself by doing different exercises instead of giving up or eat more ...
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm an example for this situation. I've plateaued for 30 days now and my calories are under 1000. This is all I can eat without being uncomfortable. The only way I could take in more calories would be to eat more (volume), or eat food full of fats and sugar. I'm against both. What to do?

You could just add "good" fats to whatever you are eating.

As an example - nuts are a great source of protein and you can consume a lot in calories for a very little portion.

2 tablespoons of fresh ground almond butter is about 170 calories, again good fats....there's lots of little things you can do to bump up your calories....Olive oil, butter, 2% or full fat milk, avocados....stuff like that.

Good luck!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Generally anorexics not only eat not enough...they don't eat hardly at ALL. We're talking 300 cals a day is high for bonafide anorexics. Because of this, their body starts breaking down any fat they have to fuel their body, and when that's done, it's starts getting the amino acids from their muscle stores, hence they literally become skeletons.

Your body needs sufficient amounts of fat, protein, carbs, vits and minerals to keep your physiological processes in good, homeostatic boundaries. You need cholesterol and protein to sustain many of your hormonal balances, which consequently play key roles in your metabolism. If you deprive yourself of these enough, your processes are going to slow down as much as possible to survive on what little you are giving it. So basically, if you don't eat enough (hopefully good) calories, your metabolism rate will slow down so that it can run on what little stores you've provided it. Slow metabolism = slow caloric burn = slow/no weight loss.

Almost word for word what I was going to say. :bigsmile:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Check this site out -- http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

Not a medical site but has good logic behind it.

I, personally, asked my Dr. He said that "starvation mode" is a myth. Yes, metabolism gets slower but it will ALWAYS take calories to fuel your body. And if you are going under **gasp** 1200 calories occasionally it will not affect your weight loss at all. Please check with your physician so you have all the facts and medical clearance to do so.

I only post on these topics because the rumors and half truths go around like crazy. And if one person takes time to research and learn the truth that is one less person spreading the "starvation mode" myth around.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Look for good calorie dense food. You should not be avoiding good fats. Start to eat nuts, eggs etc... They'll not only boost your calories but all provide your body with the healthy fats it needs.
  • RRotondo24
    Options

1000 calories is not enough. If you don't eat enough calories your body will store everything you eat because it thinks you're starving. Don't eat foods full of fats and sugars, just eat more greens, lean meats, etc. You need to get your calorie count up (about 200-400) to get past that plateau, even if that seems counter-productive. Just try it for a week or two and see if it works; if I'm wrong, go back to your way!
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    Also, like with so many other person-to-person differences, not every "body" is the same. Some people can and DO keep burning and losing when eating under <1200, some don't. There are a lot of variables that go into it all.
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Poor mans version. You dont eat enough body goes into survival mode. Stores whatever it can. Weight Gain.
    Anorexics by pass this to the point their bodies must break down body mass just to run normally.
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wait. What?

You want to rethink that?
    I have thought about it; I wouldn't have posted otherwise. So no, I don't want to rethink it.

"In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight."

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

I was eating 1200 calories a day and was stuck at a plateau. I started eating 1400 a day and the weight started falling off..... So adding calories helped me out and sped up my metabolism.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I honestly want this explained to me because it makes no sense to my mind. I hear a lot of folks say if you don't eat enough you won't lose weight....then how do anorexic folks become so thin?

Don't get me wrong, I know this is unhealthy and I would never do that to my body, I just don't understand how this makes sense.
    It stifles metabolism.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.
    MFP has calculated our total calories required each day WITHOUT exercise to lose 1lb per week.
    And after we log in our exercises, our calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.