trouble goin bathroom regularly

Options
So,i started mfp just over a week ago and feel like I haven't really been gooing to the bathroom on a regular daily basis.Sorry to be gross,but yes Im talking about pooping!!A friend told me to cut out bananas,so i haven't eaten one since Saturday.Im eating about 20g of fibre a day,so im baffled. i'd appreciate any tips..thank u

Replies

• andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely normal in the 1st couple of weeks. Less food, dehydration and other factors. Drink tones of water and get 30 g of fiber/day and it is going to regulate itself very quickly.
    By the way you're not gross at all. And another advice. Don't force it out.:smile:
  • Uhmanduh
    Uhmanduh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely normal in the 1st couple of weeks. Less food, dehydration and other factors. Drink tones of water and get 30 g of fiber/day and it is going to regulate itself very quickly.
    By the way you're not gross at all. And another advice. Don't force it out.:smile:

I had the same problem and this is what I did... I found that for water... even though it feels like a ton!!! If I take my weight in pounds and divide it by two then drink that many oz of water it helps soooo much!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. When you increase your fibre you also need to increase your water intake or you will get clogged up.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    also realize if you were a high fat/grease eater that your movements will become less frequent by cutting that out.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Same problem. I finally had a colonoscopy (spelling??). There was nothing wrong. The dr. told me to take Colace. They have generic at Costco. It works great!!! And it's not a laxative so you won't accidentally s**t your pants :)
  • knay112
    knay112 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had problems all my life,and a doctor recommended this to me...
    Drink a cup of coffee in the morning, first thing.
    Like CLOCKWORK!!!
  • valpal93
    Options
    thanks..it does seem like a lot of water,but Im willing to try!!! congrats on your weight loss :bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Go to your local pharmacy and buy a product called "Colon Health" Its a probiotic pill that you take with every meal.
    This will help regulate!!!

Also look into Prevention Sassy Water or Prevention Fire Water.
    You make these at night then drink them during the day and the ingredients help regulate lower GI.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Miralax is completly safe to use every day even with children. Try that :)
  • valpal93
    Options
    Thanks,for the tip and the giggle !!!
  • ladybug2000
    ladybug2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drink water and more water!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A few stalks of celery a day always works for me.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options

I had the same problem in the beginning, bad enough to need laxatives. I increased my water and fiber. Also, strangely, a lot of aerobic exercise helps move stuff too!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Drink hot water or tea- that always helps me.
    Also I have your problem ALL the time. I have started eating Activia and these fiber gummies from Target. They have been working wonders !

Good luck- and I agree DON'T force it !
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    as far as drinking all that water, get a water bottle you like- that you don't mind being seen drinking from ALL. THE. TIME. because If you like your water bottle, you're more likely to drink from it. Be practical when picking it out too- there's all kinds- a giant 1-liter nalgene ( like I have), the camelbak better bottle (have this for camping and when in the car b/c it has a bite-and-sip straw), sports botltles that you squeeze, etc.

I'll admit that it does sound a little ridiculous to pay so much attention to a glorified glass, but I've just found that when I have my nalgene with me, I'll drink from it just because I'm bored. Also, if you get into the habit of drinking water instead of eating something (as I have in the last few weeks), you're total calorie consumption will go down dramatically. For me, food has always been an oral fixation, and now that water has replaced higher calorie options, I'm doing so much better.

Sorry for the long- winded answer, hope it helps!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Fiber, water, and fat. I would pay attention to your daily intake of magnesium too and if it is low on a regular basis consider taking a supplement. I went to my doc last year for the same problem and my magnesium levels were low. Once I started taking it, it only took a couple of days to even out.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Oh just get out and walk too. Thats what we do in the nursing home for patients who can. It beats the hell out of a suppository...
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    lots of wate throughout the day, coffee can help (but drink a flavored coffe only 2-10cals instead of a high cal one and walking after you eat a larger meal
  • valpal93
    Options
    great tips folks,thanks to all,,,,heres hoping for some movement,and soon!!!
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Anything dark green like spinach, broccoli and dark romaine lettuce will help! And of course more water throughout the day.