HELP!!! Need breakfast ideas!

Options
I need good, quick breakfast ideas that have plenty of protein but no milk-based products.

Over the past several months I have developed an allergy to....something. I have hives pretty much all the time but have no idea what is causing it. My doctor wants to send me to an allergist but the closest one covered by my insurance is 3 hours away. That wouldn't be so bad but, with unpredictable upstate NY weather, I would hate to get stranded in a snowstorm (Buffalo is in the snow belt!) so am hoping to hold out until spring.

The hives have gotten worse over the last couple weeks. There were two things that change, she put me on a new medication and I started making healthier choices. The big thing I'm eating every day is greek yogurt.

So I am going to do a little experiment and cut out all milk based products for a couple days (not forever!) I hope this isn't the problem but I would at least like an answer to why I'm itchy all the time! But here's my problem...
I HAVE to eat a protein packed breakfast in the morning otherwise I'm starving buy 9am. My favorite breakfast is 1/4c granola cereal mixed with greek yogurt. Well, that's out.
My second favorite breakfast is an english muffin with an egg and a wedge of laughing cow cheese. That's out too!

So, if anyone can come up with some quick breakfast ideas (gotta be quick, have 3 kids I'm getting up and ready for school) I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Replies

• ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    You can do an egg sandwich and leave off the cheese. Make a bunch and freeze them
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=348644

Hope you figure out what is causing the hives!
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hadn't thought about freezing the sandwiches. I may pick up some turkey bacon...will miss the cheese :(
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    almond milk, pb, and chocolate protein powder ... about 300 calories and delicious!
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually make myself some egg whites and one whole egg with turkey bacon. That's pretty quick.. I buy the pasteurized egg whites and just add the amount I want and add one whole egg to the mix. I also make my turkey bacon and eat it together. You can also make oatmeal in the microwave, make sure is the Old Fashion Quaker oats and add a bit of water to it. Microwave for 2 minutes and let it sit for just a moment. You can add vanilla whey protein to it for added protein or just add fruit, a bit of salt and cinnamon. Major YUM!!
  • bwestfall03
    bwestfall03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. You can cook them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. Then just nuke them and eat. They will hold you over until your next meal.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    egg whites and turkey sausage on an english muffing- YUM !

This year in Buffalo has been weird I do have to say.
  • NicoleLIri
    NicoleLIri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos, a couple of corn tortillas 100 calories for 2 usually, egg whites, turkey bacon 1 slice @ 30calories, or turkey sausage 3 links usually 100 calories, couple of tbl spoons of salsa usually only 10 calories. Sucks you gotta skip the cheese for a couple of days :( they're pretty quick and easy though.
  • crbruner
    crbruner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found some really good Egg beaters southwest style that is really good in a low carb whole wheat tortilla with some salsa and cheese. I have been buying veggie based cheese that is dairy free, there are a lot of great dairy alternatives out there. And if I can find them in my somewhat rural community I'd expect most groceries are carrying them. Amy's Organic frozen meals also has some great breakfast options that are made with tofu instead of eggs and they are great for the mornings when you are in a hurry, most of amy's meals vegan so no worries about dairy.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh and you may want to see if it is a Gluten allergy. I think your primary can check that out.
  • kj40
    kj40 Posts: 3
    Options
    Peanut butter (or almond butter, cashew butter, etc.) - on an apple, a rice cake, anything really. Also - handful of nuts, or scrambled tofu (get the firm kind, not soft; you can add moroccan seasoning and it's really tasty!), or any kind of beans (baked beans, etc. or I like to scramble an egg and mix in black or kidney beans along with some veggies and herbs...yum!). Good luck!
  • drmnofsun
    Options
    I second the steel cut oats. I boil 6 cups of water every Sunday night. Add 1.5 cups of Quaker Oats Steel Cut Oats. Boil for 1 (yes, one) minute. Remove the pan from the heat, but put the lid on and let it sit overnight on the stove top. This makes ~9 servings of steel cut oats that are good for up to a week in the fridge. We nuke it when we want it (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in this house!). I usually add walnuts & raisins to mine.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. You can prep it & treat it like oatmeal but it has more protein than any other oat.
  • sappyoldlady
    sappyoldlady Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I have a 100 calorie whole grain oat sandwich thin....with a serving of Jif's Omega 3 peanut butter....taste great although....you may be more of a bacon and egg person...it keeps me full longer than cereal....or a turkey sausage muffin...you could take off the cheese :) Just some ideas!
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the mini whole wheat bagels or whole wheat bread toasted with peanut butter and half a banana sliced on it. Very easy and not a whole lot of calories but a good dose of fiber and protein to keep you full for hours.
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    I like making a fritata - keeps for a while and you can just cut a slice, pop in micro for less than a minute and you are good.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup "Better N' Eggs" and 1 slice of Turkey Bacon on an English Muffin.
    I also add cheese, but here's the breakdown sans cheese:

Calories: 150 Protein: 13 Carbs: 26 Fat: 2 Sodium: 365 Fiber: 6

It's super easy:
    1min 20 sec for the egg in the microwave.
    40sec for the Turkey Bacon in the microwave.
    Toast the muffin and assemble.
    Takes me about 5min total in the mornings.
  • Envirogurl
    Options
    I bake a ham on the weekend and slice it. Ibuy those little applesauces (4 oz) cups and get a bag of tangerines or clemetine oranges and I have 2 slices of ham/1-2 clemitimes and the cup of applesauce. I find it really fills me up and its real low in calories. Best part its good for you!
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    my fastest breakfast is to boil some eggs in advance and keep them in the fridge. chop one up and heat it in a bowl in the microwave jst a few seconds then fold it between a piece of bread or toast. another fast thing is egg substitute (egg beaters) poured in a bowl and toss in some pre chopped veggies, ham, sausage etc. that u keep in a zip lock in the fridge heat up for aminute and you have an omlette you can also try cheese from goats or other "dairy free" choices
  • petiteloriwithin
    Options
    I need protein to keep hunger from biting at my heels in the morning too. Lately, I've enjoyed a "fried egg" on two toasted slices of double fiber bread. My mate switched the egg for egg beaters, and I didn't even notice (I thought I didn't like egg beaters... he was trying to help). Well under 300 calories total, 10 grams of fiber, 16 grams of protein. If you use egg beaters instead of a regular egg, it's only 230 calories... Tasty too!
  • linskeyr
    linskeyr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz just had a show last week about food allergies and the biggest cause was dairy products. Also, fyi, whey and casein protein are a form a dairy. There is also dairy in some deli meats. Google Dr. Oz and check it out.