Exercises for bad knees?

Options
I just started exercising after 2 years of being inactive due to a knee injury that required surgery. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what types of exercise to do that's low impact until I get some strength back in that knee. I'm currently doing an elliptical trainer every time I go to the gym, but I'd like to mix it up a little. I just really don't know what to do and I'm too broke to get a trainer. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Pool exercises/swimming is a great recovery exercise. There's a lot of different things you can do in the pool either on your own or in a class. Definitely something I'd suggest looking in to!
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Shoot! I just ended my membership at the gym with the pool because it was too expensive. :( Maybe during summer I can get a pass at my condo association pool... Definitely cost effective.
  • darylinny
    Options
    Pool is the best way to go for low impact. Are you cleared to ride a stationary bike...I know, it's a big yawn but it does help mix it up. A row machine might not be two bad for your knees. I had hip surgery and the stationary bike and pool were my best buddies. Maybe you could work on your upper body with weights and resistance bands while seated. Just a sugguestion.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from surgery, and I just started back on exercising. I'm using a recumbent bike, and the doctor told me to loosen the resistance for a while, and just slowly increase it over time. The beauty is you're using your knees without putting weight on them.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • sorcier100
    sorcier100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks carrie for the livestrong link. i had a total knee replacement 4 years ago of my right knee and from the extreme pain in my left knee i have a feeling that one is going to have to be done soon too. on top of that i have heel spurs on the back of my heels that are slowly sawing through my achilles tendons. needless to say....i have to be very careful what i do or i could be in serious trouble. i found several exercises on the livestrong site that will allow me to start a real exercise program. i'm excited and finally feel like there is a chance for me to begin truly losing some of this weight and living life fully again. =)
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Oh, wow! Thank you for the link! There are some pretty good exercises there that I think I'll try at the gym tonight.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Recovering from a knee op myself (keyhole cartalige removal), just three months ago, have been swimming since about 2 months ago, seems to be doing the trick!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will help you now but it might later... on the show The Revolution they were talking about getting healthier knees. My grandma has bad knee problems and I don't want to have the same issues when I am older so I paid attention. You can see the segment at: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-revolution/blog/diet-and-exercise/harley-describes-knee-issues You can also read about it at: http://www.recapo.com/the-revolution/the-revolution-health/the-revolution-q-angle-knee-pain-mercedes-weight-loss/ Most important thing I took from it was the need to work the inner thigh muscles (adducter muscles).

Hope this helps!
  • aymarie33
    aymarie33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband is going through the same thing. They told him the stationary bike is the best bet if he cant get into a pool.
  • 1lowcarbgirl
    Options
    I have bad knees too, and I have found stationary bike and stretching to help a lot. don't have access to pool so can't say. but strengthening muscles that support knee is important as well as strengthening your hips, good luck on your knee recovery journey.