Do not trust the calorie counters on gym machines.

Options
I finally got my HRM. Took it to the gym YIKES...The elliptical after 40 mins said I burned 484 calories my HRM said 303 that is 181 calorie difference times 6 days a week means I was eating 1086 calories to much a week on top of as I was doing 30 day shred MFP gave me more calories as well.
I am glad I was finally able to get my HRM hoping now I can start to lose weight if I am on the right track with calories.

Replies

• kjuncoonazz
    kjuncoonazz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah that machine may have needed to be calibrated and was not reading right. It also depends on the resistance you are working at. I use a crossramp elliptical 10 on 7 resistance and at 29 minutes I usually burn 300 cals.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had the same " ah ha" experience when I started using my HRM recently.
  • Sassys4538
    Sassys4538 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am looking to buy a HRM, what kind do you have? Can anyone suggest a good one to get. I spent 45 mins on the elliptical today and it said I burned 610 calories. Would love to compare with a HRM.
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If possible it always helps to calibrate it (the workout machine) to your weight. Also, take the number of calories the machine says you burned and subtract 20% of that number. 20% seems to be the standard "error" I've noticed on machines. Hope that helps!
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/exercise-calorie-counters-work/story?id=9966500#.Tx9OGFlMfad

Treadmill: Overestimated calories burnt by 13 percent.

Stationary Bike: Overestimated calories burnt by 7 percent.

Stair Climber: Overestimated calories burnt by 12 percent.

Elliptical: overestimated calories burnt by 42 percent.

Certainly not an exhaustive study but perhaps enough to think about not taking machine counters at face value.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one and the price just went up. I paid 57.95. So far I love it easy to use and set up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0OFD2/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
  • Sassys4538
    Sassys4538 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one and the price just went up. I paid 57.95. So far I love it easy to use and set up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0OFD2/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Thanks Loves418, the reviews are great for this HRM, I am going to order one.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    If possible it always helps to calibrate it (the workout machine) to your weight. Also, take the number of calories the machine says you burned and subtract 20% of that number. 20% seems to be the standard "error" I've noticed on machines. Hope that helps!

That's exactly what I tell my clients...deduct 20% and you typically would burn 6-7 calories a minute on the elliptical...unless very overweight you would burn more....45 minutes on an elliptical at a somewhat challenging pace would net you around 400 calories maybe a littl emore depending on how hard you hit it