Ranch Dressing

Options
I looooooooove ranch dressing, however after reading the labels on a few different brands of the stuff I have tried to keep it off my salads or use it as a dip for veggies. I'm longing to find one that won't make me gasp when I read the label. Anyone know of any brand that is better for you than the rest out there??

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I looooooooove ranch dressing, however after reading the labels on a few different brands of the stuff I have tried to keep it off my salads or use it as a dip for veggies. I'm longing to find one that won't make me gasp when I read the label. Anyone know of any brand that is better for you than the rest out there??

Trader joes has one that's great... let me find it.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I use the dry ranch spice mixes, and then I can either just dust things with them, or blend them into greek yogurt or soft tofu.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Put this in the database and chekc out the nutritionals.

Trader Joe's - Low Fat Parmesan Ranch Dressing

It is low fat, but NOT loaded with sugar either to make up for it.
  • pinkfink
    pinkfink Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use the dry ranch spice mixes, and then I can either just dust things with them, or blend them into greek yogurt or soft tofu.

the mix and greek yogurt sounds like it might be a good idea. Thanks!
  • amberjschmidt
    amberjschmidt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. And I've ALWAYS hated low fat or fat free (gag) ranch. However, I have found I can stomach the low fat Hidden Valley ranch... it may be costly but it'll do for now.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a great yogurt-based Ranch dressing (they have a few other yogurt dressings, too) that aren't totally great ingredients but definitely NOT anywhere near as disgusting as some other popular, soybean-oil based Ranch dressings. 45 calories for 2 tablespoons, and because it's yogurt-based, it has 2g of protein-- and a lot less fat than other brands! The only downside to these products is, because they're dairy, they only keep for about 4 weeks, and it's hard for me to use a whole bottle of salad dressing in that span of time.

I also agree with other peoples' suggestions to mix dry mix with Greek yogurt.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

How about make your own..........

¼ cup Mayo (Grapeseed or Safflower work pretty well if you don’t want to make it)

¼ cup Coconut Milk

½ tsp Dill

½ tsp Garlic Powder

¼ tsp Onion Powder

¼ tsp Chives

1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Optional * ½ tsp Parsley

Optional * ½ tsp Thyme (I say, try it without and if you think it needs a little more zing, then add these 2 optional spices ;)

Sea Salt and Pepper (to Taste)

Mix all until incorporated. I like to use a Bullet, but that’s just me…(if you buy it, you’ll love it, i promise!!)

**Note: all of the spices that I used were dried. You can use fresh if you like, but I thought you’d like to know that it will still turn out if you use dried herbs.
  • pinkfink
    pinkfink Posts: 21 Member
    Options

How about make your own..........

¼ cup Mayo (Grapeseed or Safflower work pretty well if you don’t want to make it)

¼ cup Coconut Milk

½ tsp Dill

½ tsp Garlic Powder

¼ tsp Onion Powder

¼ tsp Chives

1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Optional * ½ tsp Parsley

Optional * ½ tsp Thyme (I say, try it without and if you think it needs a little more zing, then add these 2 optional spices ;)

Sea Salt and Pepper (to Taste)

Mix all until incorporated. I like to use a Bullet, but that’s just me…(if you buy it, you’ll love it, i promise!!)

**Note: all of the spices that I used were dried. You can use fresh if you like, but I thought you’d like to know that it will still turn out if you use dried herbs.

wow, that sounds simple enough...... and known of the ingredients are things I haven't heard of/don't already have which is a plus. I think I will have to try this.

do you think you could use regular milk instead of the coconut milk?
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Hidden Valley has there spice mix in packages- just buy it and add it to a tub of plain greek yogurt. It's a great dip full of protein and wayyyy less calories.

Kraft makes a low calorie ranch- I only use it when I must have a ranch fix

- I pretty much had to stop eating ranch to lose weight. I have since started using all sorts of Italians and balsamics that I actually enjoy. Like roasted red pepper italian by Kraft thats 60 cals per serving. Yum.