A Quick Story

Options
ajp913
ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
So, I set myself a plethora of goals for January, and last night i had one lonely goal remaining... to run a sub 10 minute mile.
On Monday I went into the gym for a strength workout and as I was heading in, I felt like a monster. Impossibly strong and motivated, ready to completely run over my workout like nothing. I even ended up doing an extra half hour of cardio at the end because I felt so good.

But last night, heading into my run, I felt so much more timid. I was nervous. Even scared a little. Failing sucks. I knew what i was about to do was going to be intense and that throughout the process my mind was going to try to bargain with me.

So I go in, I bike a mile to warm up, then start stretching.

As I'm sitting there on the floor, pullin' on my toes... I hear, from my left,, by the treadmills, a weird high pitched grunt.

I turn my head just in time to see a guy, only a few years older than me and in much better shape, flying off the back of the treadmill and slamming into the stair mills behind him...

I start a bit freaked and worried about the guy, i don't want anything bad to happen to anyone... but it's obvious as he scoops himself up that the thing he hurt most was his ego. A trainer goes over to check on him... and on the way back, because I'm infinitely curious, i listen to her explain to another trainer what happened...

The treadmill he was on, when his foot planted, pinched the belt against the support structure below causing it to pause, he lost his footing, freaked a little, his next step hit the side of the treadmill... he bumped into the front of the treadmill and fell onto the belt and shot off the back.

I have had this happen before, where the treadmill pauses under my fatness... and indeed, it is freaky. But i have never fallen. But at this point... i empathize with the guy,and I'm even more nervous... so i'm like... maybe we should do this running thing tomorrow... when i'm more in the mind set.

But no... goals are not accomplished by watching other people fall down and getting scared.

So I run, i run so far away...

Wait, i didn't really go far, treadmills are stationary things after all, but i ran fast...

Nine minutes and 36 seconds worth of fast for my first sub ten minute mile since my knee surgery three years ago.

Also I ran the last 4/10 of a mile with a left shoe that was so untied it was whipping my right calf... So for a good 3 and a half minutes all i'm thinking is... it was the most terrifying 3 and a half minutes of my life.

But i did it...

ummm...

The end.

(I didn't say it was a well written story).

Replies

• Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love the imagery! Great story and congrats!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Absolutly LOVE the story! Our mental mind set is often the biggest hurdle to get over.. I feel for the guy who fell at the gym..I would be super embarassed!

Keep on running
  • mshalkowski
    mshalkowski Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great story - Congrats on making your January goals! Setting and reaching specific goals is SOOOO motivating! Great work!

Mary
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great story!! And congrats on completing all of your January goals, and not giving up on the last one!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    A plethora? A plethora of pinatas?
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    Congratulations! You felt the fear and did it anyway. The gym can be a scary place sometimes but part of this journey is about getting out of our comfort zones. J.F.D.I Cheers to you :drinker:
  • trbinado
    Options
    Woot! Woot! Woot!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheering and screaming for you!!!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, I can't run a sub 10 min mile. Especially with an untied shoe. Fabulous job man. Fabulous! :smile:
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great story!! :) I'm proud of you! My goal is just to run a mile non-stop right now...and I know I'll achieve it. Maybe by end of February...if I work hard enough :)
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You sure rock!! I love the way you write, you crack me up!!
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    A plethora? A plethora of pinatas?

Ha Ha!!
    Do you know what a plethora is??
    Ha ha!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

The story was awesomely written btw =]
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Indeed plethora!
    Other goals achieved:
    40 push ups in one set
    80 push ups in three sets
    Jog mile and a half
    100 crunches, one set
    Bench Press 275
    Lose 15 pounds

February?
    Jog 2.25 miles
    9 minute, 15 second mile
    100 push ups in 3 sets
    150 crunches, one set
    290 Bench Press
    Lose 15 pounds

Thanks all for the reinforcement! It swells whatever part of me that is that keeps me motivated!
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I love the story, inspiration and wit, all rolled into one delightful tale. So proud of you for making your goals last month. I'm thnking it might be time to set my goals a little higher than making sure I roll out of bed, don't neglect the dog, and try not to go over the calorie goals set by MFP. I'll be giving it much consideration today. : ) Thanks again for sharing your inspirational success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!