MFP calculation vs www.healthstatus.com calories to log?

Options
Howdy!
newbie here - never counted calories before
though did ok on atkins...

so I am trying to do this right -
it seems like the calories burned as listed by MFP do not take into consideration ones weight...

my main exercise is vinyasa yoga -
www.healthstatus.com says that is 1,205 calories for 90 minutes
MFP counts that as 348

I want to eat my calories... so I do this correctly
but what to log?

thoughts?
thanks

Replies

• InStabilityKills
    Options
    Try a third website or get a heart rate monitor. Do you feel like you burnt 1000 calories? 1000calories in 90 minutes would have you sweating your butt off quite a bit for that hour and a half.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think Mfp takes your weight that you have entered into consideration when giving you a calorie estimate. Your bet bet is to invest in a heart rate monitor, really.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Hi there!

Let me first start by saying welcome! MFP can be a really great tool. As someone that has practiced Bikram Yoga, I can honestly say that I have never burned 1000+ calories in a 90 minute class, and I have never worked out harder than I have in Bikram. That being said, the MFP calculation is probably more accurate. To be most accurate, I highly recommend investing in a heart rate monitor that has a chest strap and calculates your calories burned. Input your own personalized information into your exercise diary.

I hope that you enjoy MFP and good luck on your journey!
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MFP does take into account your weight. And I don't know of any exercise where you can burn 1200 calories in 90 min! I am thinking healthstatus.com is incorrect. But I am no expert...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    1205 calories burned for 90 minutes of yoga? (I love bikram yoga so I am not bashing)

NO WAY DUDE!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I double check mine with a couple websites from time to time for comparison and then i log the lowest one .....Hoping to get a hrm this weekend........
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    MFP values are an average, and in my experience way higher than the numbers I get from my HRM. 1200 cals seems very high for 90 minutes of Yoga, for anything really, unless you are moving a lot of weight around and your heart rate is really moving.
  • true3girls
    true3girls Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree ~ you probably did not burn that many, so don't eat that many. The safest & most reliable bet is a heart rate monitor. Good luck with your journey, you're off to a good start if you are using MFP. It becomes quite addicting & you will tend not to cheat as much because you feel guilty having to log it. You might want to try a more areobic exercise too to get higher caloric expenditures.
  • Joyyj
    Joyyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have compared my Heart Rate Monitor, Map My Walk and MFP when exercising. Heart Rate Monitor shows most calories, MFP is in middle and Map My Walk the lowest.

All use my age and weight in figuring out the calories used.

Just remember you are only cheating yourself if you incorrectly log your exercise.

Of course I did used the highest calories :))
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    MFP values might be a bit low, but definitely more on target than the 1000. Yoga, while being intensive and sometimes working up a sweat, doesn't usually keep your heart rate very high. It is meant as a calming exercise, so low HR would be a goal during the class. This is why I am assuming your burned the smaller amount.
  • dancerman
    dancerman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    indeed - I have been using the MFP calculations -

they seem a bit low for the yoga I do...
    (90 minutes of walking the dog at 3mph is listed at 455 - this is much more exercise then that)

my concern is only that I don't want to be creating a big deficit -
    and getting things mucked up that way

so I'll just use the MPF #s....

yes the 1205 also seemed way off base!
    but so did the less then walking the dog
    so hence my confusion...

thanks for all of the replies!
    it's great that there is such a supportive community out there
    seriously great.
  • Joyyj
    Joyyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone can add an exercise to the database. I have added 2 (Map My Walk) and (Heart Rate Monitored Exercise). So if someone adds something incorrectly (like walking dog), it pulls up but is probably wrong. I have pulled that up after I worked on the treadmill - which tells you the calories you have burned, the dog walking is always way high.