I can run!! *TEAR* Training for a 5K - Wish me luck!!

Options
So I have always wanted to be a runner. I would run but would give up because I would get tired or my legs would hurt. Today I am at 2 miles and at 5mph (some times I feel like going faster so I bump it up to 6.3 mph and run that for about .2 miles in intervals to build myself up). I never thought I would get there!! I am so excited because I am training for my very first 5K run. The event is for the Houston Area Women Center Race Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. I am thrilled because I have my own childhood experience of sexual abuse. It brings tears to my eyes that I will be able to get out there and run and know why I am doing it :heart: . Such an accomplishment and I will meet other women and children who have gone through the same thing.

I invite everyone to come out if you are in the area!

I still have a long way to go before I run like I want. I hope to one day run a Marathon!

Replies

• czechmate823
    czechmate823 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I know this is big, I just got off the treadmill where tried running 3.5 minutes at speed 5 and almost fainted! Can't wait to run the whole 2 miles that way! And I'm doing my first 5K this fall, I'm actually pretty excited about it! So happy for you, I know this means a lot! Yay for you!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Good luck to you! I know this is big, I just got off the treadmill where tried running 3.5 minutes at speed 5 and almost fainted! Can't wait to run the whole 2 miles that way! And I'm doing my first 5K this fall, I'm actually pretty excited about it! So happy for you, I know this means a lot! Yay for you!

That is a great job 3.5 min at 5 is hard! I struggled so hard to get there. Good luck with your 5K. I love MFP because there are so many people who started out struggling to do 1/2 mile walking and now can run forever.
  • Glacier907
    Glacier907 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    congratulations! keep up the good work!
  • tanmustlose
    Options
    You can def do the 5k. I did my first one in January to raise money for recovering substance abusers. It was very hard but the sense of accomplishment was worth it. My goal is to run a 5k for a good cause every month!
  • Gilliamzoo
    Gilliamzoo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's great! You'll be up to the 3rd mile in no time! Intervals are key. Keep up the great work!
  • nicmc1978
    nicmc1978 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Me too i managed my first 2 miles yesterday without having to stop. I was soooo chuffed with myself. Pushing now for 3 miles but it seems like an impossible task at the minute as I am knackered after 2. Still carrying an extra 5 stones so i cant beat myself up too much. Good luck to you xx
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    make sure to incorporate a day of hill sprints/workouts. increases speed, endurance, muscle, prevents injury.
  • kpick123
    Options
    That is awesome. Keep it up and just pace yourself. you will do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!