Friends or Not????

Options
Just wondering what side of the fence you are on?? I am struggling between having lots of MFP friends or just 100 or so.......I can easily manage 100 or less and be a real supportive friend to them. But should I have more and maybe not be able to be as supportive??? What do you think???

BTW I love all my current MFP friends!! they are amazing and I could not have gotten where I am today with out their support!!!!!!

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at around 50...I dont have time for mroe than that to realllllly be there for them.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I never counted how many friends i have. I'm not really sure it matters much. Most of the people that friended me have read my blogs and felt that there was encouragement and humor which is something we are are needing to get to the other side.

Like today, funny thing happened. I picked out my brown skirt, a sweater I just bought and cleaned off a pair of brown shoes from the closet. Did the shower thing and started getting dressed. The new sweater--too big. The skirt--fell off...

I didn't get to wear the brown shoes, no other brown skirts! See-- pretty funny!! :)
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at around 50...I dont have time for mroe than that to realllllly be there for them.

Same here. Hard for me to keep up with the 52 I have!
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    100?! THAT seems excessive to me! I couldn't keep up or remember who everyone is!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I use to not have over 70.. I then deactivated and came back under this name and it's been a much more positive and motivating experience. I've had the pleasure of inspiring others and have gone up considerably with my number of friends. Every two weeks or so I will review them and cut who hasn't been on in a week or who doesn't interact. Lately, however, I haven't had to cut anyone...I love all my friends :)
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't want more than 50 I think. I like to comment/encourage on everyone's pages and have a hard time doing that even now. I understand wanting to be there for all of your friends, but it seems like it would be hard and so time consuming with more than 50-100.

With that said...if you do cut some people I hope I stay!!! :tongue:
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have more like 10 or 15.... Of those, a few (4 or 5) are what I consider GOOD friends. By that I mean they read my diary, make pertinent, educated comments. By 'educated' I mean that they know me well enough to have suggestions specific to my situation. The others comment sometimes, usually a stock "good job". Not discounting that, I appreciate it, but maybe we haven't found some common ground beyond weight loss.... I guess my point is that I'd rather have fewer friends who I've developed a connection with, rather than a ton of friends who are just names. I really DO love all my friends! :-)
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    I will never put a limit on it or turn someone away. For one i think people fade out, some people meet goal and don't log in, some people don't post often, or message as much. I have about 60, so not sure what 100 would be like, but it doesn't take too much time to come on here and give support and encouragement. And the days i don't have much time, i don't comment on exercise and food stuff, just post, blogs and messages or so.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Less is more, takes me over half an hour to catch up with what everyone's been up too over a 10 hour period now, the one's I care for the most might well fall through the cracks if I run out of spare time.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways too. I find it is the same people on my friend list that comment on my wall, support me and say "well done" or congratulate me on any weight loss each week and then there are those that never say a word, even though I comment on their wall or tell them well done when they lose weight or do a good training session.

I will be cropping my list soon, so that I can spend more time with those friends that wish to be mutual and not just take all and give nothing back.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    I've struggled with this too, Amy. I really would love to have lots of friends, but I feel I couldn't really be supportive if I have more than the 50ish I have now. I actually do open each food diary and look at them almost every day before I comment. (I love getting new food ideas)
    I have some people that I always comment on everything they post, including food and exercise and status updates, but they have never said anything back to me or acknowledged me at all. Sometimes I wonder why I am keeping them on, because I feel "why waste my time commenting and talking to them when they don't ever answer" but then other times, I think "maybe they are shy or just don't talk much".

Good luck on whatever you decide about your list!
    :)
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't want more than 50 I think. I like to comment/encourage on everyone's pages and have a hard time doing that even now. I understand wanting to be there for all of your friends, but it seems like it would be hard and so time consuming with more than 50-100.

With that said...if you do cut some people I hope I stay!!! :tongue:

You will always stay!!!!!!
  • t3hsandy
    t3hsandy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I only have 2, and have no idea who they are. So doesn't matter to me.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    100! I am struggling keeping up with the few I have. I love it and would love to be able to read everyone's stuff everyday and I try to most of the time but sometimes I just can't, not enough time in the mornings or evenings... running late this morning - YIKES! You're doing great keeping up with 100 people! :-)
  • Kmarr32010
    Kmarr32010 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have about 200 friends on my list right now. I will never deny a friend request. I am not able to comment on each and every single post but I believe they all know I am there for them and am cheering them on. I do have a handful that I have really connected with and consider them real, true friends. I try to post encouraging, motivating things so even if I can't post on each person's status or wall that they still feel encouraged. I do have alot of friends who either don't log in or don't post often so even they are on my list, they aren't active members. So, y'all know there's always more room for another friend so ADD ME! :wink:
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't think I even have ten, and I'm with the folks who struggle to stay involved with that many. When someone completes their diary, I like to look at it before commenting, and for the two or three people I have who really use their news feeds to talk about other things, I like to keep them straight, so that I can genuinely comment and support them in their daily lives. I wouldn't deny a request, I don't think, but for me, it's about being part of a support network, not how many "friends" I can have.