Sooo frustrated! :(

Options
I feel like Im getting nowhere. I want to go out and jog but with my asthma I can't handle the cold air. I want to work out but can't afford a gym membership. I do my cruches, my pushups, jumping jacks, stair stepping, and vigorous dance workouts, but still feel like its doing nothing. I used to eat like portions that were 2 - 3 times what I'm eating now and was a complete junk food junky. So why is it not making a difference?

Replies

• beyerfink
    Options
    it takes time and is frustrating . Just keep doing what your doing and hang in there. You are doing better than i am, I haven't been able to even get motivated to exercise yet.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to eat like portions that were 2 - 3 times what I'm eating now and was a complete junk food junky. So why is it not making a difference?

THIS is something, little things that you wouldnt notice are the biggest impact to your life change and most people never take notice of them. If I could suggest Leslie Sansome, she is a great workout and is all indoors so you dont have to worry about an asthma attack. Also congrats on changing your eating habits, that seems to be the hardest thing for most people. Do what you can inside at home until the warm weather hits, then tear it up!
  • cnbeyerfink
    Options
    it takes time and is frustrating . Just keep doing what your doing and hang in there. You are doing better than i am, I haven't been able to even get motivated to exercise yet.

Take that spazzoid spoiled mutt for a walk. lol. He'll get ya goin.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it. This takes time. Be patient.

Here's some tips I wrote for newbies that you might find useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
  • Reekia
    Reekia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, the results will come. I have been exercising and monitoring my portions for a little over a month and only lost a few pounds, but I feel better and have more energy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I bet there are all kinds of things going on in your body that your can't see - just the fact that you are eating less and doing some exercise will pay results. I know it's frustrating because you have to keep on doing those things without immediate feedback that they are working.

My suggestion is to set your self some mini goals that are easier to acheive - write them on the fridge and tick them off every day, then you know you are succeeding without relying on the scale to tell you.
    Some ideas:
    - healthy breakfast every day for a week
    - swap one coffee/soda/candy (whatever your vice is) for a glass of water or an apple
    - exercise 20 mins every day - it can be in blocks of 10 mins if that is what fits into your day
    - find a new healthy recipe for dinner every week.

Those things are much more achievable because you are actively DOING something rather than NOT doing something.

Keep going and good luck!
  • tiahellokitty
    Options
    Hang in there and I know it can be tough and you feel like its doing nothing but trust me it is definitely doing something and soon your effort will bring you great results and you will not regret it! Don't give up, good luck!!!
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough not seeing the changes now, but you'll get there if you continue with the diet and exercise. I think any effort helps and if you keep your mind focused on the healthy body you want then you'll get it much faster. I would check out blogilates.com because the woman who creates the fitness videos focuses on workouts you can do at home. And if you have time, you should read this book by Rhonda Byrne called "The Secret". It's about having a mindset that will get you the things you want.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working at this. I say give it some time, you didn't put the weight on in a month so don't expect to take it off in a month! Seems you are doing what you can do, eating smaller portions, working out at home etc. Keep doing what you are doing. The library has workout tapes for free, try a different one every 2 weeks! Good luck on your journey!
  • esteticistalatina
    esteticistalatina Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't give up. I was a little discouraged because I did not see weight go down for 2 full weeks, all of a sudden at 2 different times, 2 friends asked me if I am loosing weight and told me that I look so good. I started the program on the 17th of January and have only lost 1-2 pounds but I think I am gaining muscle and toning.
    I don't like to walk ouside and found this awesome videos walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone, she has 1-2-3 or more miles I believe, I have the 1 and 2 and the 3 miles.(see if there is a promotional sample on youtube) I also do the stability ball for my tummy, I found a great workout on an old self magazine. Some balls come with a video but if you don't get it there is great free video clips on youtube. Let me tell you this walk program is awesome and I sometimes do yoga with a video to change and to work on my strengh and balance. Getting ready to do my workout. I am a late bird. Keep it up, you are worthed!!
  • kewwy1
    kewwy1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership to work out. Go for a walk, do that jillian michaels shred.... there's HEAPS you can do! :)

And results will come... it just takes time!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I see you just joined MFP in Jan 2012 so you just beginning your journey. You do need to set mini goals for yourself. Also, when you meet that mini goal to get a reward (non food related). Sometimes you get NSR (non scale related) achievements. Like when somebody asks if you want a food item and you say no thank you and stick to it. Somebody you have not seen in few weeks notices you look better etc.

I do not go to a gym. I walk outside. I have asthma also and live in North East State of Pa. I also have videos and do various other things at home. I have a yoga ball to work out on and I did purchase an exercise bike and use it daily now.

IT DOES TAKE TIME. I have good days and bad days with my mood and it is normal. Yesterday was not an easy day... I felt sorry for myself on calorie restriction. But, I didnt cave into what others were eating and remained strong. My MFP's gave me encouragement and I was glad I got thru that day. Today a new day my mood improved and I keep on doing what I am doing. I know its the best for my health and that I am not alone on this path to a healthy way of eating and exercise.

It took a good amount of time to put the weight on... and it will not go away instantly. Your body is adjusting to your new foods and exercise. Its all good. I hope you dont give up!!

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • My2kidsmama
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself yet (been on my transforming journey since last July), and measure myself once a month. I take 6 key measurements: arms, bust, waist, stomach, hips, thighs and calves. Your weight can fluctuate from day to day, and one day it may be up and the next down and back and forth. In the past, I've found that discouraging. So I decided using a tape measure works for me. I've lost 50" so far. Friends have told me they feel I've lost 50-60#. I may weigh myself right before a family wedding this May, but I dunno...

All my results have been at home and not at a gym. I just started walking. It was baby steps at the beginning but I kept at it. First, it was a mile and then more. I found consistency is the key. I now easily can (aerobically) walk 3, 4, 5 miles or more a day. My miles are down because it's been a cold winter--but only 1 day of snow so far. But yes, I've bundled up and gone out in <25 degree weather because it keeps me motivated. I've also walked in my garage! Yeah, it's boring, but the iPod helps! I've used a pedometer all this time. It tracks: total steps, aerobic steps, calorie and total miles. It's very motivating. The brand name is Omron and cost <$20.00. It motivates me to keep moving all day long.

It took me about 2 weeks before I felt differently, but now see changes on a weekly basis. I drink a spinach shake every morning (organic spinach, 1 banana, 1 tsp organic PB, and almond or rice milk). It takes 5 minutes to make in the blender (16oz) and then I split it and drink it over 2 days. It's less than <200 calories, lots of protein, high iron, and is the 1st thing ever that keeps me full until lunch or beyond. (When I was a kid, I rarely ate breakfast, and now realize it's the most important meal of the day.)

You can also check You Tube for free workout videos. I've just gotten hooked on "You've Got 4 Minutes". She has a lot of videos but so far I've only tried four of them. They're fun and quick and really get a great preliminary workout in only 4 minutes. I invested in a Kettlebell ($15 on sale that came w/ a video) and do that everyday too.

Like you, I'm eagerly waiting for Spring, but I've learned no matter what, daily exercise is important. I no longer have insomnia problems, and actually look forward to exercise because it makes me feel so good. Try different ideas and find something you love and keep at it. I know you will see results. Exercise + eating healthy whole foods + drinking water = a new you. Good luck!
  • Kittie_Kat
    Options
    Just keep going, even if you don't see results on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making a difference elsewhere. I've been doing this consistently for a few months and no weight lost but I feel oh so much better. Yes I may get frustrated at times and want to give up but I don't. You shouldn't either, you'll feel so much better if you don't give up...give it time :)
  • cnbeyerfink
    Options
    I invested in a yoga mat, ball, bands, and dvd today as well as a pilates dvd. Hoping this helps.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I invested in a yoga mat, ball, bands, and dvd today as well as a pilates dvd. Hoping this helps.

have you tried the yoga yet
    i love yoga ..it is so relaxing and makes u feel so good
    i think the pilates is hard but that is because i am so out of shape:ohwell:
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Lawd, I think we've all expierenced your frustration in some shape or form. But, I always remember that if this was easy the WHOLE world would be toned and hot!!! Don't give up and stay on this site