Peanut Butter

Options
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question regarding peanut butter. I had always been taught that it wasn't very good for you, but i have noticed a lot of MFP members have it regularly or recommend it. Can someone explain to me why? I love it and would love a great reason to eat it more often!!

If of course it is bad for you than just correct me haha

:) cheers

Replies

• jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great source of healthy fats and protein. Just make sure to get natural PB without the extra junk added in. The only ingredient on my PB label is peanuts :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Great source of healthy fats and protein. Just make sure to get natural PB without the extra junk added in. The only ingredient on my PB label is peanuts :)
    ^this. cept mine has a little salt in it too
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it has a bad rap because it is high in fat. However if you get one that is made of peanuts (without too much extra stuff like sugar and other fillers added) then it's a way to get some fat into your diet with a relatively unprocessed food. It does pay to read the labels - I saw one brand that only had 80% peanuts - which made me wonder what the hell was in there, it shouldb e almost all nuts!

You do have to pay attention to portion size because it has quite a lot of calories for a small amount.
    Check out almond butter or a blend (I get almond, brazil, cashew spread) - even better than peanut butter!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've fallen in love with pb in the last few weeks. It -is- high in fat, and I have to be careful not too much of it. My main reason to eat it is for the protein. I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely get to eat meat. Peanut butter helps me meet my protein goals most days.
  • Grod6690
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I would never have thought to check the ingrediants! Thanks!! I will enjoy small portions :) yay!
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    almond butter is healthier than peanut butter. ;) and more delicious too.
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their Better N Peanut Butter is amazing, and with less fat, calories and sodium than regular peanut butter. Plus it tastes like it has honey mixed in. Love that stuff.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out the 'whipped' style, too. Less calories.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their Better N Peanut Butter is amazing, and with less fat, calories and than regular peanut butter. Plus it tastes like it has honey mixed in. Love that stuff.

My new favorite!!!
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is said to curb appetite, so I guess you could have a tablespoon when you are tempted to overeat. It may help you feel full and help steer you away from the snacking.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter everyday ! Absolutely LOVE it ! I get mine from Whole Foods where I can grind it fresh from natural peanuts. Be careful in some " main " brands ... the ingredients can be less than favorable ... but, here's the scoop :

Calling peanut butter a diet food, with 180 to 210 calories per serving, may seem counter-intuitive. But it has the enviable combination of fiber (2 g per serving) and protein (8 g per serving) that fills you up and keeps you feeling full longer, so you eat less overall. Plus, there's nothing more indulgent than licking peanut butter off a spoon--and indulgence (in moderation) helps dieters fight cravings and stay on track.

A serving of peanut butter has 3 mg of the powerful antioxidant vitamin E, 49 mg of bone-building magnesium, 208 mg of muscle-friendly potassium, and 0.17 mg of immunity-boosting vitamin B6. Research shows that eating peanuts can decrease your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic health conditions.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter! But yeah, the super high calorie count is a turn off when you're trying to lose weight and, unfortunately, one tablespoon isn't enough to satisfy me.

I've also heard about Pb2 which is a natural peanut butter in powder form. I guess they take the oils out of the peanuts, and it's like 25% of the calories of normal peanut butter. It's a bit spendy and I'm not sure if it'll taste like the real thing, but I'ma put in an order soon. They also have some with chocolate in it! Woot woot! Best combo EVER!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Smucker's Natural Chunky PB is where it's at. Lots of good fats, and delicious. :3
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter! But yeah, the super high calorie count is a turn off when you're trying to lose weight and, unfortunately, one tablespoon isn't enough to satisfy me.

I've also heard about Pb2 which is a natural peanut butter in powder form. I guess they take the oils out of the peanuts, and it's like 25% of the calories of normal peanut butter. It's a bit spendy and I'm not sure if it'll taste like the real thing, but I'ma put in an order soon. They also have some with chocolate in it! Woot woot! Best combo EVER!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

I've had PB2. It's alright but texture wise, it's nothing like peanut butter. low cal, sure. tasty, sure. but also not as filling or delicious as the real thing. ive had peanut butter, sunflower butter and almond butter. i vastly prefer the latter two. PB2 is alright in a pinch. its best in smoothies though. with banana.
  • tillyborn68
    tillyborn68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody else. I usually buy organic PB, but I also buy the brand Peanut Butter & Co, which is all natural ingredients they have a cinnamon raisin swirl to die for. Great on toast, or on apples as a snack. Yummy :) Ingredients are peanuts, evaporated cane juice, raisins, cinnamon, palm fruit oil, and salt. 2TBLSP = 160 cal. They also have a chocolate.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to put peanut butter on plain rice cakes for a snack or on an apple for breakfast.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person in the world who HATES peanut butter? lol

My boyfriend can't even comprehend it
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Smucker's Natural Chunky PB is where it's at. Lots of good fats, and delicious. :3
    A FREAKING MEN.

If you look at my diary you'll notice I have a weakness for peanut butter, aka I eat it every day out of the jar....How do I deal with my obvious PB addiction? PB2 BABY! If you haven't gotten this yet GO NOW!

http://www.bellplantation.com/

Remember you NEED fat in your diet. PB is a great source, but a little high in the calories. Don't make my mistake where you eat 4 tablespoons in one standing with a jar. :) that was a horrible 400 calorie mistake, but by God it tasted like heaven.

Pro tip for peanut butter? Weigh it with your digital scale before you start eating it and weigh it as you go. Keeps you honest :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Some stores like Fred Meyer have grinders so you can make your own right in the store.

Also--if you eat it with higher glycemic foods like bread and fruit, it will slow their digestion so the insulin effect isn't as strong.