Knee issues with 30 Day Shred

Options
Let me preface by saying I have always, since high school, had one knee that was prone to loud cracks, pops and some tenderness. I have done 3 days at level one of 30 day shred. Now that the screaming thigh muscles have calmed down, I am realizing that the knee pain I was having is still there. I am doing the modifications on all the lunges, squats, etc. but still having quite a bit of soreness when doing the moves in my right knee. The pain has continued to when I am not working out, hurting more than usual when getting up from the floor, kneeling, etc. When I do the knee circles at the very beginning of the workout to stretch the knees, I actually can hear and feel a grinding of sorts in the right knee.

Do you feel further modifications or the substitution of other exercises for squats/lunges would do the trick? Suggestions please. Also, is there another workout program out there that is easier on the knees and can provide a condense workout such as what 30 Day Shred brings to the table? I have a very limited time to exercise, while the three kids are, hopefully, napping! LOL! I was hoping Shred would be a good strong workout that I could do in a short amount of time. Advice and thoughts please! Thank you.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I had problems with this workout also with my knees. I had to stop doing it and do something else. Instead, now I bike, hike, and kayak. I use machines at my gym for weight training to take the pressure off my knees. If you don't have access to a gym, try doing the squats and lunges without going all the way down. Just go partially down.
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 30 day shred and all I can say is if level one is hurting your knees, you should find something else because level three is obsurd. I honestly don't know why Jillian doens't have a knee replacement by now. It just doesn't make sense how she crashes down on the knees. I have modified by wheneven she jumps to just go all the way through. like, I jump and then I bend the knees to use my legs to absorb the impact if that makes sense.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I alter work outs.
    jumping jacks i just alternate one foot to move forward on it's heal and then the other and then do the same arm movements, but you could just march in place as well since the jumping jacks are meant to keep you moving and what not.

I also did the push ups against the wall.
    could do the arm movements with out doing the squatting if that is to much for you. there are ways around it.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but her modifications for squats are kind of counter intuitive. Telling you to do shorter range of motions (i.e. quarter squats) actually puts more stress on the knees.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    1. Go have your knee looked at by a doc.
    2. Glucosamine
    3. Push your body, but not to the point that you injure it more.

The key in exercise is just getting the body to MOVE.
  • noramc8
    Options
    I also have always had a bad right knee (same deal-cracks, gets sore, and when pushed too hard the patella pops out completely). The only thing I can advise is to become a gym rat. The treadmill's terrible UNLESS you have at least a 1.0 incline. As long as you're on an incline, you're knees will love you. Same with the elliptical.

If you don't have a gym membership, run outside but ONLY on dirt tracks and paths! My physical therapist banned me from pavement running and the little I have done since that warning has shown me why.

Also, make sure to stretch out the knees. The stretch where you bend your leg back and grab your foot with the opposite hand to stretch out the thigh really stretches out the knee as well. As long as I do this regularly after workouts and have a resistance/dirt track, I don't have knee problems.
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Any suggestions of a different workout video? Something that works you hard, like Shred, but is a bit easier on the knees?
  • ready2beme
    ready2beme Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Popping in for suggestions.I had an ACL replacement years ago and it still gives me grief and now my left knee seems to be following from trying to compensate for the right one.