How do I tell my Recruiting Sgt. that I'm not ready?

Options
So, I tried going to a USMC recruiting center about a week ago.
Since then, I've done more intensive exercise than I thought I was capable of.

I'm both glad and disappointed by this. Glad, because I now know my limitations, and disappointed that those limitations are so low. . . (22 minute 1.5mile, 8 crunches, 0 pull-ups) (Male 20, 5'11'' 250lbs)

But after those workouts, my body is screaming at me (I used to workout quite a bit, I know the difference between fatigue and pain), and I'm worried that I'm going too fast and will injure myself.

I'm a heavy guy and we've been doing a lot of running, so my knees and shins are really bothering me.

How do I tell my recruiting Sergeant that I do not believe myself to be ready for the level of physical activity they're asking for?

Replies

• whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Be honest with them. He will help you out. He will have respect for you trying to prepare yourself.
  • stfnross
    stfnross Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Push yourself by thinking positively but at the same time you have to be realistic. Your body can only do so much. The recruiter will most likely understand this.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Be honest with them. He will help you out. He will have respect for you trying to prepare yourself.

This
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I would explain it to him just like that, how your body is feeling and how you're worried about injuring yourself. If you pose it more as asking for advice about how to prevent injury or what you can do to feel better, he might be more willing to cut you a break. With a recruiter like that, he might jump to thinking you're whining or whatnot. That'd be my approach anyway. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid. Basic training will whip you into shape in no time. Yes, it'll be uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but you won't be alone. You'll be with lots of other guys and gals who are in the same boat, which will make all the difference in the world.

Talk to the recruiter, but don't discount yourself so soon.
  • melrose09
    Options
    Don't be afraid. Basic training will whip you into shape in no time. Yes, it'll be uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but you won't be alone. You'll be with lots of other guys and gals who are in the same boat, which will make all the difference in the world.

Talk to the recruiter, but don't discount yourself so soon.

SO true! Don't give up on your dream just yet. Maybe take a few months to bust your butt and make some improvements. Then once you get to basic, you can feel a little more confident and surround yourself with people in the same position. What a great goal to set for yourself! (My husband is Navy) Not many things in this world can make you as proud as being a member of the military :)
    ETA: As far as the recruiter...he might even be willing to help you meet your goal! He can point you in the right direction, at the very least. They are trained to encourage and guide, so I don't think you have anything to fear.