Is 5 KM brisk walk a good effort?

Options
Hey Buddies! I have started a new regime of diet and doing 5km of brisk walk in about 55 mins or so .I was just wondering if 5km/3 miles a day is respectable enough? I have been exercise free for years so wanted to initiate a daily routine . I want DEAD HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE.

Replies

• katcj
    katcj Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well, it's around 3 miles a day, I'd say it's good enough - I would rarely do more than that and am managing to lose weight and feel fitter. And I don't exercise every day! :-)
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Good for you for starting to exercise! 5 km is a fabulous start. You'll feel so much better with exercise. And walking is so good for you.

Way to go!
  • Dove954
    Options
    I think its great. Any exercise is better than none. Keep challenging yourself to do more if you feel you need to do so.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well exercise is all relative to you. An amount that is a lot for some people, would be just getting warmed up for others, and most people are somewhere in the massive void in between the two. So it's hard to judge what is or isn't a good amount of exercise.

But whatever your activity level, walking for a whole hour is a pretty good effort.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Great work, thats pretty much all I do every day, circa 3 miles (just under 5k) and stick to my calorie goal (and eat my exercise calories), I have now lost 39 pounds in just over 12 months.

Its ok to have bad days every now and then, I know I have had plenty but stick with it and be honest with your diary and you will see great results.

Good luck, A ;-)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    anything that gets you moving is good! so id say its a good start, if you want to progress from walking to running then i would highly recommend the couch to 5k programme which is an interval based walking/running programme.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Dead honest, to walk fast on the treadmill I set it to 7.7km/h. At 8 (which is 5mph) I have to break into a slow jog. I'm 5' 10" which might makea bit of difference. If you feel you can step it up a bit - do it. Jogging for 30 seconds then walking again is supposed to be a good way of building fitness.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    anything that gets you moving is good! so id say its a good start, if you want to progress from walking to running then i would highly recommend the couch to 5k programme which is an interval based walking/running programme.

Agree with this. Couch to 5k is a great programme if you want to start running.
    Once you find walking 5k easy, then mix it up a bit with some other cardio so your body doesnt get used to it, and burn more cals.

Any exercise is great. Give yourself credit!! Think of all the millions of people sat at home on the couch watching TV. You're actually out there doing something!