women, did your body ever go back to "normal" after delivery

Options
my son will be a year old in less than two months. even though i weigh less now than i did when i got pregnant (about 10lbs less) my clothes do not fit me. I wore a size 13 pant before I gave birth and now I'm wearing a size 15 comfortably and if I try to get into those size 13's its a super tight fit and its really hard to button.

belly wise, its pretty much back to normal and i just assumed that my hips and etc. we're back to normal but my pants say differently. everyone always said you got hips after you had a child, but alot of people said theyre bodies went back to normal. whats wrong with mine?

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did go mostly back to normal but felt like I carried more weight on my hips. I really think you don't lose the last of it until you stop breastfeeding. If you're still feeding you may just have to wait.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Haha, wish I could help but I had a ten pound child. My hips go from Cali to Maine now. :p
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think your shape definitely changes, I fit clothes I fit before I had DS but they fit differently, my hips are wider even though I weigh less
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had three kids and my hip bones are visibly wider now so no chance of ever being back to normal my stomach also looks like a map of the London underground but in a way I'm kind of proud of the nasty stretch marks as its a sign of the amazing thing my body did and id rather that than a perfect body anyday :)
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My hips are defiantly wider! Not sure why.
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i'll let you know when i see my hips again!?!
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My hips were definately broader. I went up a size but still weighed the same.
    Oddly enough my feet also changed.
  • louisebear
    Options
    im the complete opposite it took my four years to get to a size 14 from a size 22 and its a tight fit.....even my shoulders have broudened....im wearing my pre pregnancy jeans now but like u say... ive widened at the hips...dont think ill ever be a 12 again :O(
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress. I'm heavier than before pregnancy but I don't feel my body is much different than before. My hip bones feel the same. My abdomen is softer, but getting stronger. My boobs are insanely larger (went from a 34B to a 40D). I think a lot of it is genetics. Women in my family bounce back very quickly and have a tendency to lose weight very fast. I think the only difference I can tell is my groin still aches. I can't do hip abductors or squats without it still hurting (I'm 15 weeks postpartum)
  • nickispence
    Options
    Nope- a lot of my top half decided to visit further south, and my spider veins on my legs multiplied! What I did discover though, is that there are other parts of my body that I like better- I just bought my first ever pair of short shorts because I decided that my legs are quite nice, and i dug out my tank tops because I like my arms again- it's amazing how toned they got supporting a mini heffalump while breastfeeding! So perhaps keep working on the eating and exercising but forget about the areas that worry you for a while and focus on what you do like until you can get back into those jeans :-) Oh, and DEFINITELY do not worry about what 'other people' say- what they mean by normal and what you mean by normal could be MILES apart- they might mean normal compared to their friends who all gained heaps of weight and didn't lose it, and you mean normal for you pre-baby- MILES apart! Please don't think there's something wrong with you!
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i thought i was the only one lol! ive had 2 kids my first i went back to normal but my son even tho he was smaller than my daughter my hips have widened alot altho i weigh less now which is a pain as i have skinny legs so trousers now look funny on im now a size 14 was a 12 :(
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's different tbh. I know people who've ended up a lot bigger all over post-baby and others who've ended up a lot smaller post-baby.

In my case, my daughter's 3yo now but by time she was 4months old I was back wearing the same clothes I was wearing before I fell pregnant. I was 148lb when I fell pregnant, put on 21lb through the pregnancy (I was mostly bump - I stayed pretty active when pregnant but probably won't be hillwalking at 8months if I were to do it all again), was back to 148lb two-three weeks after my daughter was born then lost 14lb over the next 8months because of the regular breastfeeding and being back at work. Once she was eating solids regularly my weight crept back up to 147lb. She still has a breastfeed first thing in the morning and just before bed but it's not enough to make a difference in terms of my calorie requirements.

I'm now 138lb, my waist is 27inches (2inches smaller than pre-pregnancy) and my hips are 37inches (1inch smaller than pre-pregnancy) and I've not done a huge amount to change my eating and exercise other than keep an eye on things and not spend my evenings eating chocolate and crisps!

The main physical difference is a bit of shrinkage in the old boobies - was a DD cup pre-pregnancy but back down to a C/D cup now. Ah well, can't have it all. :-p
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    my hips have always been wider so the only difference i found with having my children were that my AA cup boobs went to an A after my first then a C after my second and I just got fat after my third lol.

I do know that some women carry more body fat around their stomach, thighs and hips after having a baby and your hips widening seems to be pretty common.

but everyone is different and genetics do play a big part...
  • superdoof
    superdoof Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a saggy belly :-( and also my bra size is bigger...sadly not the cup fit, the band measurement

FYI, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 5 weeks, and back in my jeans within 6, I then got complacent and thought I had that super metabolism that Victoria Beckham attributes her amazing weight losses to!

I was enormous again within another 10 weeks!
  • mandos78
    mandos78 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    a week after giving birth i was 4lbs lighter than before i concieved and i was in my pre pregnancy jeans. unfortunately my back has never recovered from the epidural ( somedays i'm crippled just from walking around the house). so pre pregnancy jeans no longer fit :-( but i'm working on it.
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My little boy is 6months now. I lost most of the baby weight within about 6 weeks of having him and now I'm semi-dieting (still breastfeeding so not proper dieting) and lost another 10. But I'm still waiting for my "pooch" to go. I can get into smaller jeans than I did pre-pregnancy but my belly now hangs over the top of the waist band! Arghhh! And my boobs would hang somewhere around my knees if I didn't constamtly wear a bra. Here's hoping they firm up a bit once I stop BFing!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I was a size 7 before I had my daughter (had the body of a size 5 and the hips of a 7). It took about 3 months for me to get back into my clothes, except for my bras. I went from an A to a B.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was down 21 lbs a week after my son was born. He was 10 of that. I was 260 at 9 months and now Im 180. I do not think I have the same shape, it def changed a bit. I also have the pooch hanging in the lower belly area.
  • MrsCheddies
    Options
    I'm 5lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight and I still can't get into any of my pre-baby clothes. I am wearing things now I bought when I was 20 weeks pregnant :-(

My son is 13 months.