i walk now 40mins everyday should i still mark this as exerc

Options
ok so since i started using this site i have started to walk everyday of the week for at least 40mins a day to take my son to school and back, i was wondering if i should still mark as exercise because i now do it daily?

thanks

Replies

• angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i was thinking about this the other day and im not too sure what to do about it lol. When my other half goes back to work, il be walking 3 miles every school day, going down to 2 miles in september. So in term time im more than sedentry. But in the holidays, my activity levels will go down a degree. i think if i was doing it every day, say for work, id not log it and change everything to lightly or moderately active, but this chopping and changing confuses me lol
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes I would log it, as its not as though you have changed your daily lifestyle eg from sedentary to lightly active. As long as you keep your activity level the same, then log it.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you wouldn't count it as exercise. If I walk 40 minutes, I log it. You're burning more calories than just sitting for 40 minutes. If this is a stupid response, then just ignore it. Haha.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Every day I walk 2 miles to work and 2 miles home again. I'm logging this as exercise (30 mins at 4mph) and I eat my exercise calories. I'm still losing weight, so I think it's OK to log regular walking as exercise.
  • paf57
    paf57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all! I'd log it, too. It's definitely exercise in my book, especially if you step up the pace a bit now and then.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I agree with PeeTeePee and I do the same, especially if you have your activity level set to sedentary.
  • poulingail
    Options
    I agree with those who speak to the calculations via your exercise level.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Exactly - you have a choice

1) keep your lifestyle level (sedentary, lightly active etc) at the same level and log the exercise or

2) up your lifestyle level by one.

Personally i would go by option 1 as I think it is more accurate.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you can do 2 things

set up your profile as sedentary and log walk
    or
    set it up as active (light active or something like that), in this case mfp will add about 150kcal on top of your daily goal for sedentary
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    my profile is already set to active it was at very active but i lowered it to the one below??
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hey - what do you do the rest of the day - aside from the walking? do you work in a job where you are on your feet all day?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ifs it a change to your daily activity, you could do it two ways:

1 - leave your activity setting as it is and log as additional exercise
    2 - increase your activity level to the next setting and dont log as exercise

either way you will be fitter and get a few monre cals to eat :)