Weight Loss Challenge w/Type 2 Diab.

Options
Hi all! Last year I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes...totally floored me, but when I stopped to think about it it shouldn't have. My dad has it, and last year within a couple of months I gained back 60 lbs that I had lost doing the HCG diet. So here I am at 229 lbs., just joined our community Weight Loss Challenge, and am ready to fight the fight--only this time the right way!

Since I was diagnosed last fall, I've been on metformin and semi-watching what I've been eating...and there has been no movement on the scales. Since mid-December I have been doing Jazzercise 4 times a week. My body is definately toning, but still no scale movement. I decided today, since I joined the Weight Loss Challenge, that I would start logging everything...food, exercise, water, etc. I feel like the metformin is stalling any weight loss, and I'm hoping that keeping a log will help me and my doctor determine what's going on. Another thought is that the HCG has totally screwed up my metabolic system. Also, I'm 45 and I know that as I age it gets harder and harder to lose the weight! So many reasonings...I just need the real answers and am hoping to get them by logging and reading up on this website.

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hello & welcome to your new healthy life! I don't have Diabetes but my husband does & we both come from strong family background of it. Best of luck to you on making your neccessary improvments & living your life to the fullest....I'm 42 so I'm not falling for that age making it harder for me. I've got almost 2 kids in college, I need to look good!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, been up and down since then.
    I'm finally losing weight, using MFP, and last doctor visit she actually reduced my medication!
    Best of luck; I hope this works as well for you as it has for me.
    And congrats for starting in early. If I had kept up my diet and exercise program 10 years ago, I would be a lot better off today!
  • sbmilosh
    sbmilosh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but I have been on metformin for over two years. I did extensive research on it and it actually aids in weight loss. It's not a diet pill but the process it blocks aids your metabolism. I've had several friends on Metformin and they have also had good luck losing weight on it.
    Good luck with your challenge!!
  • maemitc
    maemitc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. HCG works. Like all diets its what we do when we get off the diets that hurt. I am preaching to myself on that I have done 6 week body makeover, weight watchers and HCG they all worked but they all had a time limit that when it was up I just went back to my old habbits. With myfitnesspal I can continue forever just keep logging in. My doctor told me I need to lose or I will be Type 2 Diab. also. For me walking really brings my numbers down. I have another appointment on Friday and It is under control thanks to exercise and my fitness pal.:laugh: :drinker:
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 about 14 years ago, and it progressively got worse... until my A1C was a 9.4 and he put me on insulin. As of last February I stopped taking it (on my own, which I would not recommend, but I HATE shots!) I started exercising and lost 60 lbs in the meantime. When I went to him in December and my A1C was 7.1 (which is still a little high), I told him I hadn't taken my shots since February. He was actually ok with it and decided to see if I could lower it myself. You can do this, it takes time and patience, but we can all do it!
  • dewaynechapman
    dewaynechapman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 ten years ago this coming summer and I have struggled recently. I am on Metformin as well and the last visit with my doctor, my A1c was over 8 for the second straight visit and he said my next visit he would be putting me on insulin if I didn't do something about it on my own. So, I have found MFP and love it and am looking forward to my next visit in July so that I can see how well I am doing. It is hard and my problem has always been when I lose some, I just end up going back and gaining it.
  • mama1229
    Options
    I'm no doctor but I have been on metformin for over two years. I did extensive research on it and it actually aids in weight loss. It's not a diet pill but the process it blocks aids your metabolism. I've had several friends on Metformin and they have also had good luck losing weight on it.
    Good luck with your challenge!!
    Metformin aided in weightloss for me as well but I hated taking it because of how it made my tummy feel(bowel distress). Metformin is also the reason I now have a 5 yr old daughter. The doctor failed to tell me that it could increase my chances of becoming pregnant.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm hoping that now that I am taking my eating seriously and tracking everything I put in my mouth, that I will start losing! Your posts about losing while on metformin have been encouraging! Thank you!
  • cissam
    Options
    I also have type 2 and know for a fact that Metforim does aid in weight loss..People (non diabetics) are actally using it as a diet pill. .. It is hard for diabetics to lose weight. We have to work twice as hard. Especially people using insulin. Just keep track of your food and exercise..Have you taken any diabetic education classes? Those help too..Good Luck!!
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes as well,on insulin, and have struggled with it for years. At the beginning of the year, I decided to get really committed to what I was doing/what I was eating and began logging everything here. MFP is your best friend if you utilize it. And exercise, truly 30 to 45 a DAY, will breakthrough that plateau you have going on. So far, in just the last 34 to 40 days for me, I've dropped from 52 units of Lancet (twice a day) to 40 units . Now that's a heck of a lot, don't you think?? And I've dropped 10 lbs. So now in February, I'm even more committed to what I'm doing for myself. I want to exercise 60 minutes to 75 minutes a day if I can do it, with kids/hubby/pets/aging mom/ full time work and going back to college part time. If I can get this going, so can you. Add me if you want and we can keep up with each other's progress. Best of luck to you. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Wanted to chime in as a former type II diabetic to never give up!
    I was diagnosed with it back in Dec. 2009. My AC1 was 7.4. My doctor recommended me on a Atkins light style of a diet. Restricting my carbs for the first 6 months or so. I quit soda pop entirely and I took Metformin and Victoza injections along with other non-diabetes related meds. I know it sounds very cliche but I began by moving more and tracking what I ate my and after losing almost 100 lbs. Jan 2011 I my AC1 came back at 5.7 and my doctor began weaning me off the diabetes medication. I got checked again in the Summer of 2011 and AC1 was 4.7. Doctor told me I had completely reversed my condition! No more meds or pricking myself.

Besides the weight loss motivation, I keep up with my new way of life since he told me I can easily get it again if I let my old habits take over. Best of luck to all of you. :wink:
  • anera313
    Options
    Are you on insulin for your diabetes? If not, ask your doctor about Byetta or Victoza. It's expensive and insurance may not cover it but I've been on it for a little over a year and I find that it helps decrease my appetite as well as keep my sugars down. I have also lost quite a bit of weight from it and/or the side effect of decreased appetite. I'm between 15 and 20 pounds down now. The one disadvantage aside from the cost is that it is a subcutaneous injection but the needle is very small and it doesn't hurt it just goes into your belly or arm.
  • kristen49233
    Options
    I also have type 2 and know for a fact that Metforim does aid in weight loss..People (non diabetics) are actally using it as a diet pill. .. It is hard for diabetics to lose weight. We have to work twice as hard. Especially people using insulin. Just keep track of your food and exercise..Have you taken any diabetic education classes? Those help too..Good Luck!!

Thanks for the reply! What you're saying--that it's hard for diabetics to lose weight--makes sense. I have taken the first class and need to take the other two. Unfortunately between my schedule with the holidays and now work, I haven't been able to schedule them. It's on my to-do list tho!
  • kristen49233
    Options
    Hi all. Wanted to chime in as a former type II diabetic to never give up!
    I was diagnosed with it back in Dec. 2009. My AC1 was 7.4. My doctor recommended me on a Atkins light style of a diet. Restricting my carbs for the first 6 months or so. I quit soda pop entirely and I took Metformin and Victoza injections along with other non-diabetes related meds. I know it sounds very cliche but I began by moving more and tracking what I ate my and after losing almost 100 lbs. Jan 2011 I my AC1 came back at 5.7 and my doctor began weaning me off the diabetes medication. I got checked again in the Summer of 2011 and AC1 was 4.7. Doctor told me I had completely reversed my condition! No more meds or pricking myself.

Besides the weight loss motivation, I keep up with my new way of life since he told me I can easily get it again if I let my old habits take over. Best of luck to all of you. :wink:

Holy Cow!! You are an inspiration! Congrats on the weight loss and getting your Diabetes within check. I'm definately looking at this as a new way of life. It's the only way to be successful long-term (forever!). Right now, I am on Metformin only-thankfully.

I know it's only been one day on MFP for me, but logging my food and keeping track of my calories seems to be working...the scales this AM showed a 2 lb. loss. :happy: