Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why does everyone seem not to eat enough?(Friendly thread)

ivan_franceschi
ivan_franceschi Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I am just curious because I see a lot of people with very strict caloric intake values. I am seeing a lot of total calorie counts around 1200 per day if not less. I also see people only eating small amounts of carbs, protein and fats. I am just wondering if anyone would like to share more information about these strategies, and what kind of success you have found using them? (Specifically for people eating less than 100g carbs, less than 50g of protein and less than 30g of fat per day with total calories of less than 1200.)

Replies

• faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    i once had a dr. put me on a strict 40 g of carbs a day diet. i lost alot of weight but it was hard to stick to. it really helped my diabetes.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I eat moderate protein, high fat and low carbs...................

I eat almost natural, no processed foods...................

Controls my diabetes with no meds........................

Check my bloodwork link at the bottom of my signature......................I am healthier eating low carb.
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Hey, that's awesome. I think I'm gonna try to slowly cut down my daily intakes. I have some high blood pressure issues.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I love to eat, so I am definitely not one of those people that doesn't eat. I think part of the reason you found this is so many people think in order to lose weight, you have to starve and eat only fruits and veggies. It can be very hard to meet even 1200 calories a day let alone anything more eating only fruits and veggies.

Also, a lot of people, rather than inputting their info and letting MFP tell them their goals, they think 1200 is the magic number that will make them lose weight, which is just not true for everyone.

I currently eat 1400 a day before exercise, and I readjust my goals every ten pounds. I will hopefully hit 40 pounds lost next week and I will readjust my goals, which will probably take me down to 1350 calories. One day I will be at 1200, but that will be because I have lost all or most of my weight, and a person who weighs 60 pounds less than they used to doesn't need as much food to fuel their body.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    I love to eat, so I am definitely not one of those people that doesn't eat. I think part of the reason you found this is so many people think in order to lose weight, you have to starve and eat only fruits and veggies. It can be very hard to meet even 1200 calories a day let alone anything more eating only fruits and veggies.

Also, a lot of people, rather than inputting their info and letting MFP tell them their goals, they think 1200 is the magic number that will make them lose weight, which is just not true for everyone.

I currently eat 1400 a day before exercise, and I readjust my goals every ten pounds. I will hopefully hit 40 pounds lost next week and I will readjust my goals, which will probably take me down to 1350 calories. One day I will be at 1200, but that will be because I have lost all or most of my weight, and a person who weighs 60 pounds less than they used to doesn't need as much food to fuel their body.

That's true provided your activity level remains the same, however, i'm 111.5 pounds, I eat 1400-1800 a day. I ate less calories when I was 5 pounds heavier..I was hovering at 1350...I could never ever survive on 1200 calories a day, today was my light gym day and I burned 892 calories, without my weight work, I don't include my weight lifting sessions, i'm currently at 1561 calories for today. This was som serious trial and error to find where my body was "happy" at 1200 calories, I was tired, cranky, had headaches like crazy and super sluggish, upped the calories and I feel a $hitload better.
  • The idea is to figure out what works for you. I eat between 1200 and 1500 cals a day depending on my work out. I am also Breast Feeding so I have to allow about 300 cals for that. But as long as I burn at least 500 cals a day Im okay and 1300 give or take. I have found its not that hard to stick to 1200-1300 if your eating at home and you really stock your kitchen well will healthy low cal foods. I get a fudgecicle almost every night because there only 100 cals and high in fiber! I Love em. You have to burn more than you eat or you wont lose.

Good luck
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I think it's because a lot of people set their goal to lose 2lbs a week. If you lower your goal to a more reasonable 1lb a week, or even 1.5lbs a week, you'll see a significantly higher amount of calories that you can eat.

The 2lbs a week isn't sustainable, IMHO. Especially if you're starting to exercise quite often.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    I think it's because a lot of people set their goal to lose 2lbs a week. If you lower your goal to a more reasonable 1lb a week, or even 1.5lbs a week, you'll see a significantly higher amount of calories that you can eat.

The 2lbs a week isn't sustainable, IMHO. E
    specially if you're starting to exercise quite often.

I changed my goal to 1lb a week but mfp still says 1200 calories?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

MOST sites will set you up with a 500 a day deficit, or 3500 cal deficit a week for 1 pound
    1000 a day for 2 pounds
    I have a very simple calculation method to give you an idea of how all this works

It takes approx 15 cals per pound to maintain your weight (sans any extra exercise you may get)

200 x 15 = 3000

135 x 15 = 2025

120 x 15 = 1800

Now you can plainly see that a 2 pound a week goal for someone weighing 200 pounds is a much easier task, calorie wise.

The less weight you have to lose the less cals you have to go into a deficit.

In theory, the 200 pound person can easily eat 2000 cals a day and lose 2 pounds a week, where the 120 pound person looking to lose 5-10 pounds only has 4-500 calories to work with, without going into a very unhealthy regimine.

This also explains why a 135 pound person eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 500 cals, is only giving their body 900 calories to run the engine. This is why my metabolism slowed to a halt from prior extreme dieting.

I hope this helps~~
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642

MOST sites will set you up with a 500 a day deficit, or 3500 cal deficit a week for 1 pound
    1000 a day for 2 pounds
    I have a very simple calculation method to give you an idea of how all this works

It takes approx 15 cals per pound to maintain your weight (sans any extra exercise you may get)

200 x 15 = 3000

135 x 15 = 2025

120 x 15 = 1800

Now you can plainly see that a 2 pound a week goal for someone weighing 200 pounds is a much easier task, calorie wise.

The less weight you have to lose the less cals you have to go into a deficit.

In theory, the 200 pound person can easily eat 2000 cals a day and lose 2 pounds a week, where the 120 pound person looking to lose 5-10 pounds only has 4-500 calories to work with, without going into a very unhealthy regimine.

This also explains why a 135 pound person eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 500 cals, is only giving their body 900 calories to run the engine. This is why my metabolism slowed to a halt from prior extreme dieting.

I hope this helps~~

so with that said, should i setup the custom method at the above calculted calorie intake. Doing so would put me at 1615 calories a day without exercise. sure seems like a lot of food.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Very interesting.
This discussion has been closed.