Hypothyroid and weight loss

Options
In the last 18 months I've gained 39 lbs, I was totally devastated and had no idea why. I was exercising and eating as healthy as I always had, and continued to pack on the pounds. Then hit the totally overwhelming exhaustion, which was incredibly hard for someone who has always been very active. I couldn't bring myself to work out like I used to. That was last September that my work outs started dropping off.

Fast forward, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid, my TSH is high and my free t3 free t4's were both very low. I also have low cortisol levels. I am starting armour thyroid tomorrow and hopefully that will help.

My question is, does anyone have tips for losing weight now that I'm getting my thyroid back in order? Thanks :)

Replies

• red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Thank goodness you've finally got a diagnosis - most people feel so much better once they get hypothyroidism under control and it is very manageable. It becomes second nature to take that pill (or pills) each morning.

Once the medication has the thyroid hormones back in balance, there's no reason why sticking to your calorie and exercise goals won't help you achieve your weight-loss goals. It does take a while for the meds to kick in and get the T levels right; probably your doctor has already scheduled a blood test for six weeks' time (or around that).

You'll find quite a few posts about hypothyroidism - check them out for some more advice and perspectives.

Good luck!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - once your meds have kicked in. You will be able to lose the pounds.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The fact you are lucky enough to be prescribed Armour thyroid means that you should have a slightly easier time losing the weight than with just levothyroxine so that is really good news. Sometimes having 5 or 6 small meals a day rather than 3 larger ones can help. I'm sure you will be fine. When I had T3 and T4 I had no trouble losing weight, however now that I can't get T3 prescribed in the UK my weight will not go down and I always have symptoms even when my bloods are "normal".

You may find it takes a few weeks or even months to feel completely "normal" again but you should notice a significant improvement in your wellbeing quite quickly. :flowerforyou:
  • Energyflow
    Options
    It takes some time to get the medication dosage balanced for your level of thyroid deficiency. For me, it took several months of trial and error. Also, you have to take the meds on an empty stomach and can't eat for 1/2 hour afterwards. Once we found the dosage that stabilized my levels, my aches and pains diminished and my energy increased. I was able to get back into exercise, starting slowly and adding more as my energy increased.

I also found a low-carb diet seems to work best for me. Lean proteins and veggies, mostly. Fruits and nuts in moderation. Healthy fats, in small amounts. Pretty much have to stay away from things like rice, pasta, bread, crackers, cookies, etc. Eating this way keeps me feeling satiated and I don't crave things like I used to. I've tried eating whatever I want and just counting calories, but I found that I was always hungry and was constantly thinking about food. By eating some protein at every meal, I am able to control the cravings and stick to my plan more easily.

Hypothyroidism is tough, but it can be managed. Best of luck!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - once your meds have kicked in. You will be able to lose the pounds.

right!
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    bumping for later. Have hypothyroidism too...

(and good luck!)
  • MzPhat86
    MzPhat86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have hyperthyroid and still manage to gain weight. I went from 280 to 218 within a month. Im back at 271. So its all you. BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE!!! THIS SHALL OVERCOME
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I will be on meds for the rest of my life, my throid bearly functions. You will start feeling much better once the doctor gets your doses right. Just be patient and dont give up.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It's nice to know I'm not alone yet I feel awful that so many people have to deal with this. I have been sticking to my calorie goal but I'm hoping to add in some light exercise in the next week. I did do some walking the other day but I felt miserable afterwards.