BCAA

Options
BCAA during workout..... they dont make you jittery or anything do they?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    good question. Check back and tell us the results of this experiment after you work out. . .
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you supplementing with things you don't understand?
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    With the weight lifting program I'm doing they highly recommend using BCAA's, its a supplement I've never used before so thought I'd ask others opinions since I dont understand them completely and have never personally takent hem.... sheesh people, isn't that the whole point of asking questions??
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No they don't make you tingly, 10 -20g depending on your size.

Tastes horrendous though... I use some sugar free squash.

Only really effective intra workout whilst in a semi fasted / fasted state.

You will still need your protein shake and carbs post workout.
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    Thanks nml2011 !
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There are loads of different supplements that will include Branch Chain Amino Acids.

BCAAs alone should not make you jittery, etc, but many preworkouts that contain BCAAs do also contain caffeine and other stimulants.

I would recommend 1- Getting your nutrition and your lifting routine in check. and then 2- Doing further research on proper supplementation.

There is no need to supplement right now if you have just started lifting.
  • minibusx
    Options
    hi, i normally take them in the morning with a thermbol tablet befor a workout ,u can get the bcaa in tablet form (all rather larger tablets tho) yukkk lol

THEY DONT MAKE YOU JITTERY AT ALL THO :smile:

But if your really unsure about what they are or why you are taking them you will have to do a good bit of your own research to make sure they suit you x x
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    I started a couple weeks ago a more intense lifting program (but am not "new" to lifting) .... I am "new" to supplements though. I've always jsut used ON whey protein and muti's.The BCAA's are the only other thing they recommend on this program. I eat clean, and am just trying to get all the info I can on BCAA's since I've never used them (even though there is a small amount in my protein powder). I guess I'll start off researching more of the truer forms, not the kind that have other things mixed in. Thanks.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No they wont make you feel tingly, the things that make you do that are generally training boosters that contain stimulants.

BCAA (branch chain amino acids) are building blocks of proteins. We break proteins down into amino acids to repair/rebuild muscle after training so thats the idea behind them. Its been ages since i used supps, so i cant remember if its BCAA or EAA that our body cant make.. EAA tastes a lot worse.. i remember that! :)

I personally wouldnt bother with supplementing them if you arent a serious bodybuilder/powerlifter/strongman.
    I used various supplements for years when powerlifting and came to conclusion that aside from a decent multi vitamin and fish oil.. unless you are at the top of your game and have your training and nutrition spot on then you are throwing money away.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    There are two types of BCAA, essentials and non essentials. I'll start with the non essentials, these your body can create with proper nutrition.
    Essentials are the ones you take from outside sources because your body can't create them. Depending which BCAA brand you take it probably does not contain caffeine which is what would raise your heart rate.

If you take a preworkout formula like Jack3D it has caffeine is it is meant to push you through a workout give you energy. The levels of BCAA won't be as high as some of the specific BCAA powder ( I take Six Star Aminoacids sold at walmart). Before the workout I take creatine that contain a good amount of amino after the workout I take creatine as well as the BCAA mix. Hope that helps.
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    Thanks that does help a lot. I've been looking at the plain old GNC BCAA powder, event hough the plan suggests something like xtend bcaa.....
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks that does help a lot. I've been looking at the plain old GNC BCAA powder, event hough the plan suggests something like xtend bcaa.....

Where did you get the workout from? Bodybuilding.com? If it was or other similar site they offcourse will recommend a brand and supplement they sell.
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    Yes it was from bodybuilding.com, its Jamie Easons LiveFit 12 week plan..... My husband went with me and we just got some plain old GNC powder that he will use as well.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yes it was from bodybuilding.com, its Jamie Easons LiveFit 12 week plan..... My husband went with me and we just got some plain old GNC powder that he will use as well.

BB.Com also sells Xtend by SciVation which is a great tasting alternative for BCAA consumption. Before, during, after workouts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There are two types of BCAA, essentials and non essentials. I'll start with the non essentials, these your body can create with proper nutrition.
    Essentials are the ones you take from outside sources because your body can't create them. Depending which BCAA brand you take it probably does not contain caffeine which is what would raise your heart rate.

If you take a preworkout formula like Jack3D it has caffeine is it is meant to push you through a workout give you energy. The levels of BCAA won't be as high as some of the specific BCAA powder ( I take Six Star Aminoacids sold at walmart). Before the workout I take creatine that contain a good amount of amino after the workout I take creatine as well as the BCAA mix. Hope that helps.

Not really, you are confusing amino acids and BCAAs, BCAAs are just leucine, isoleucine and valine.