1st week of myfitnesspal and put on weight...Confused.

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to lose aprox 1 stone for about 2 years now and almost feel like giving up. It isn't much to lose, so why am I finding it so difficult? I am quite an active person, exercising 3 to 4 times per week on average. I try to eat healthy most of the time but am prone to binge eating on junk food now and again and do sometimes over indulge over the weekend in restaurants and at parties.

Over the past two years I have tried everything to get rid of my muffin top. I have tried dieting without exersice, eating normally and increasing exersize, giving up alcohol, low carb dieting etc. At the most I have lost half of the weight only to put it back on.

I thought I'd finally found something that would work - MyFitnesspal, but have gained a pound when I was supposed to lose it. I am confused as to what I am doing wrong.

I decided to follow a low carb diet, increasing protien after so many websites say this is a good way to lose weight and this has worked for me in the past if only temporarilly. My goals are set out below:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day - 1,200 calories/day

Carbs / Day - 75 g

Fat / Day - 47 g

Protein / Day - 120 g

Calories Burned / Week - 2,000 calories/week

Workouts / Week - 5 Workouts

Minutes / Workout - 40 mins

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity - 1,690 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed*

Your Daily Goal - 1,200 calories/ day

Daily Calorie Deficit - 490 calories

Projected Weight Loss - 1.0 lbs/ week

I have stuck to these goals apart from the protien as this is too high for me to acheive this being a vegetarian and so I have ordered some whey protien to help achieve this. I have stuck to the exercising and in fact have probably done more than I have set out in my goals.

I have not been eating all the calories I have earned through exercise daily, hoping I could save these earned calories for the weekend so that I could have a day without exersize and have a few drinks and a bit of chocolate!

Why have I put on weight? Did this one day of indoilgence and no exercising ruin all the hard work all week? Can anyone advise.

Replies

• sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it could be just water weight, or have something to do with T.O.M (if you're female that is)...

You really can't know until you've tried it a little longer. ;) Keep going, as long as you're logging your food and exercise correctly and not cheat you're going to lose.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been trying to lose aprox 1 stone for about 2 years now and almost feel like giving up. It isn't much to lose, so why am I finding it so difficult? I am quite an active person, exercising 3 to 4 times per week on average. I try to eat healthy most of the time but am prone to binge eating on junk food now and again and do sometimes over indulge over the weekend in restaurants and at parties.

Over the past two years I have tried everything to get rid of my muffin top. I have tried dieting without exersice, eating normally and increasing exersize, giving up alcohol, low carb dieting etc. At the most I have lost half of the weight only to put it back on.

I thought I'd finally found something that would work - MyFitnesspal, but have gained a pound when I was supposed to lose it. I am confused as to what I am doing wrong.

I decided to follow a low carb diet, increasing protien after so many websites say this is a good way to lose weight and this has worked for me in the past if only temporarilly. My goals are set out below:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day - 1,200 calories/day

Carbs / Day - 75 g

Fat / Day - 47 g

Protein / Day - 120 g

Calories Burned / Week - 2,000 calories/week

Workouts / Week - 5 Workouts

Minutes / Workout - 40 mins

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity - 1,690 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed*

Your Daily Goal - 1,200 calories/ day

Daily Calorie Deficit - 490 calories

Projected Weight Loss - 1.0 lbs/ week

I have stuck to these goals apart from the protien as this is too high for me to acheive this being a vegetarian and so I have ordered some whey protien to help achieve this. I have stuck to the exercising and in fact have probably done more than I have set out in my goals.

I have not been eating all the calories I have earned through exercise daily, hoping I could save these earned calories for the weekend so that I could have a day without exersize and have a few drinks and a bit of chocolate!

Why have I put on weight? Did this one day of indoilgence and no exercising ruin all the hard work all week? Can anyone advise.

Hi there, is your diary open?! Also, what's your BMR? My advice to you is, don't go underneath this. I too am under strict instructions diet wise from my Nutritionist. 1 week in, 4.6lbs off. Email me if I can help with anything okay! Sarah
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It may be the Whey Protein..............lets see what the others say:bigsmile:
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, however I've found in my own experience of using MFP, that after one day of not counting last week, my weight jumped up by about 2kg (approx 4lb). For the week since then, I've stuck to my calories, worked out a few times, and eaten back my exercise calories, along with drinking plenty of water, and this morning my weight had gone back down over what I gained back, and a bit on top! So I reached a new low weight since beginning my weight loss :) So don't let one week, or one bad weigh-in get you down. Persevere, and your body will respond to your healthy eating and exercise!
  • leanne4000
    Options
    I have made my diary public and my BMR is: 1,353 calories/day*

again Im am confused by this as in my goal settings it states "Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity - 1,690 calories/day".

Therefore which is correct and whats the difference in these figures?
  • leanne4000
    Options
    Hi 000Debbie000, I haven't started with the whey protien yet, just ordered it for next week.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh first thing in the morning after you peed and possibly with either the same clothes on or no clothes? Do you have a digital scale with 0.2 reporting? Could it be water, wrong time of the day, etc.?
  • leanne4000
    Options
    Do you weigh first thing in the morning after you peed and possibly with either the same clothes on or no clothes? Do you have a digital scale with 0.2 reporting? Could it be water, wrong time of the day, etc.?

I usually weight myself once a week at the same time (aprox 8pm) using a Wii Fit board. Im in too much of a hurry in the mornings to do this.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It has only been a week. It took me three weeks to lose my first pound.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Bless you Lisa. This is what a good diet buddy friend of mine needed to hear. I sent her your example.