30 day shred disappointed calorie burn!!!

Options
Ok. I wore my heart rate monitor to do 30 day shred level 1. After the 34 minutes I only burned 168 calories!!!! I burn more when I walk my dog (30 minutes 235 calories).
What's the point? Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• crixmix
    Options
    Work harder. Grab some weights and use them while doing the cardio. You can also up the weights you're using...I'm sure that will help.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Work harder. Grab some weights and use them while doing the cardio. You can also up the weights you're using...I'm sure that will help.

Great advice I'm going to get heavier ones today. And ankle weights.
  • ambernicholewms
    Options
    From what I seen if you stick with the program and eat right you will see results. It says lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days, the most i have seen another person lose is 17 lbs. Even though you are not burning many calories I would suggest you stick with it and look up 30 day shred results! Even if you don't lose any weight you will be more toned and stronger and you can see the difference. I plan on starting the shred once I find my dvd. -___-
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    stick with it. to burn more calories, push harder and do more reps and use a little bit heavier weights. you really should be working up a good sweat and feeling exerted doing 30DS. If you're not, increase effort!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's only 27 minutes, 7 of which are warm-up and cool down so I'm afraid you're burning even less, you seemed to have hit start on your HRM too early.

30 DS is never going to be a high-cal burning tool b/c #1, it's just too small of a window of exercise and #2 it's more strength training than cardio. It's good for beginners who need to force themselves to do strength training and I wouldn’t recommend tossing it right away to dedicate your life to the treadmill but just wanted to point out why you burn so much less calories than you were expecting. Anyone on MFP who has had success on 30DS it was in inches, NOT in weight loss which comes from less cardio, more strength training routines.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Depends how hard you push yourself I guess. I consider myself to be quite fit (do some triathlons and things) I was literally dripping with sweat so it was coming off the end of my fingers.. I used 8lb hand weights (each) and just hardcored it as hard as I could. I was about as fast if not faster than the girl I was comparing myself to on the DVD.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Increased weights and now burn 326 calories. Am sticking with it. I'm looking to increase weights by level 3. Starting level 2 next week.
  • melajarrells
    melajarrells Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is this the Jillian DVD? She's brutal!!! :) Don't phone it in!! lol
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I average about 207/211 I thought it'd be a lot more on level 3 but it's only a couple of calorie higher than level 1, pretty good for 20mins of exercise I think!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok. I wore my heart rate monitor to do 30 day shred level 1. After the 34 minutes I only burned 168 calories!!!! I burn more when I walk my dog (30 minutes 235 calories).
    What's the point? Any advice appreciated.

level one is 27 minutes so did you do two levels back to back? not sure how you got 34 minutes out of level one!? I have on occasion done level two followed by level one. Jillian's voice saying "i want you to feel like you're going to die" was ringing loudly in my ears that night. I felt like I'd had a really good work out.