Let's Talk Cellulite!

Options
Ok, what do you know about it? I had it at 320 pounds and I have it at 222. So what is the nuts and bolts about it? Is it just fat deposits under the skin that will eventually go away as I lose? Can I ROLL it out with a kitchen whachmacall it roller like grandma says? Does cream work?

Anything and all things welcome!

Replies

• kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Cellulite is largely genetically determined. If you are prone to cellulite, you'll probably always have it to some degree. I have very muscular legs and a pretty low body fat percentage, and I've still got it on my thighs. I've used some creams that temporarily improve the appearance of it, but nothing will make it go away completely.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Diet plays a huge role - grains and sugars contribute to cellulite. Heredity plays a role, but a smaller one. Endermologie and body wraps help reduce cellulite greatly.
  • RealTanyah
    RealTanyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere(at a spa) that caffeine, smoking, and poor diet can add to it too. I would google it and see if there are any changes in your life you can do to improve it. But some of it is genetics.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    From what I've read about it, as I have a cellulite issue as well, cellulite doesn't actually go away completely. Many people, even those who are not overweight, are affected with cellulite, which is caused by a number of things, including hormonal changes, genetics, lifestyle, and diet. Yes, being overweight makes the condition appear worse, and the appearance of cellulite likely gets better with weight loss but it doesn't "go away." There are some pretty detailed and informative articles on the issue out there if you have the time to look them up.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thin and in my early 20's I had cellulite. It's much more common than you think (it just gets airbrushed out of magazines). I like the nivea good bye cellulite cream, but you have to use it 2x a day, and it takes a few weeks to show any effect. And once you stop using the cream, voila! it comes back!
  • shariTN
    Options
    I got down to 120 lbs (fairly muscular build) and still had it on my thighs. However, it doesn't bother me near as much in the 120's as it did in the 170's. Almost everyone has it. It may very well never go away, but it will get better. And I have just learned to accept it.
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thin and in my early 20's I had cellulite. It's much more common than you think (it just gets airbrushed out of magazines). I like the nivea good bye cellulite cream, but you have to use it 2x a day, and it takes a few weeks to show any effect. And once you stop using the cream, voila! it comes back!

How long did you use the cream in total? I just started using it last week.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is largely genetically determined. If you are prone to cellulite, you'll probably always have it to some degree. I have very muscular legs and a pretty low body fat percentage, and I've still got it on my thighs. I've used some creams that temporarily improve the appearance of it, but nothing will make it go away completely.

Definitely agree! I have it when I was a teenager! And still have it now. All the woman in my family have it. Including my sister who is about 110#!! Although, as you lose weight it's not AS bad.
  • cruisintolose
    cruisintolose Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What is this about rolling it out with a kitchen roller? LOL I am willing to try anything on my inner thighs. Leaving for a trip and am really frustrated as i used to like my legs and now I want to wear bermuda shorts all the time. So does the cellulite cream really make a noticable difference? How long before you see results? TIA
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I heard that the old-timers took a rolling pin and rolled it across their legs repeatedly. I did google on some of this and saw one post that said that deep massages unlodge the fatty deposits and helps the body break them down. Kinda sounded like the rolling pin method to me! LOL! Who knows?
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

How long did you use the cream in total? I just started using it last week.

My skin felt smooth pretty much right away, it took about 3 weeks to see a difference. I don't use it all the time, but if I know I'm going to be going to the beach or swimming, then I will start using it a month in advance.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was 14/15, and I was 105 lbs. back then! I've always had it on the backs of my thighs, just under my bum. I know women tend to get it more than men, as we have a higher body fat percentage. I don't think there's much you can do about it -- others have suggested creams and they work until you stop using them. I read somewhere that deep tissue massage on the affected areas can help as bloodflow stimulates your body to eat those fat cells.
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I heard that 'rubbing in creams' to make cellulite disappear is more the 'rubbing' action and NOT the cream.
    I do body brushing every morning and the appearance of mine has reduced loads!

http://uk.lizearle.com/factsheet-body-brushing
  • CrashSL
    Options
    I've been mixing used coffee grounds(not sure if that's how you say it in English,what's left of the coffee after you boil it) in my body lotion (basically adding a bit of lotion to the coffee to make it easy to work with) and doing a massage with that after each bath.
    This for 2 years now. It's still there of course but you can't see it unless you pinch the leg.
    It wasn't THAT bad before either but you could def see it and I feel I got good results.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Dry Skin Brushing..... Short brush strokes starting at your ankles and working up towards your heart, it works for cellulite .
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I heard that 'rubbing in creams' to make cellulite disappear is more the 'rubbing' action and NOT the cream.
    I do body brushing every morning and the appearance of mine has reduced loads!

http://uk.lizearle.com/factsheet-body-brushing

Agree, body brushing in circles really helps!
    Dont worry too much about it. Google supermodels with cellulite and you'll get LOADS of images. Losing fat, increasing muscle tone will help, but dont think theres a magical cure (otherwise we would all be smooth like melons rather than oranges!!
  • 987Runner
    Options
    Wow, lots of suggestions. I got cellulite in high school even at 120lbs. I think it's a genetic thing in my case but also diet as well. I've almost always weighed in the 140's (5'6") in my adult life (I'm 32 now) and have worked out off and on over the years. However, I was a carb queen. I'd eat the heck out of breads and tons of milk. I'm learning now that I need to make overall healthier choices. We'll see if my new diet regimen will improve the appearance, I sure hope so!

I don't know what will work for me, but I don't know how much I'm willing to spend to get rid of it. I'd be willing to try the creams I think. I've never head of this skin brushing, where do you get a skin brush?
  • shariTN
    Options
    Hearing all this rolling stuff reminds me. My daughter says that her gym teacher swears that "walking" across the floor on your bottom helps eliminate cellulite. I never paid much attention, but maybe there is something to it.
  • sweetee75
    Options
    What kind of brush for the dry skin brushing? Like the bath brushes? Those things hurt (I use it to exfoliate in the summer), but I'll try anything. I also just started using the cream a week ago and I bought a foam roller to stretch out my back but I'm going to try rolling over it on my hamstrings to see if that helps. My cellulite is horrible, to me anyway. It started about 6 yrs ago. My mother and my 2 aunts don't have any, just me. I seriously get stressed out anytime I have to wear a bathing suit. I bought some little shorts to wear as a bottom. Hopefully losing weight will help, trying to lose 20 lbs.
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well.....I've ready everybodies comments and not once did anyone say what I have come to believe as the culprit of cellulite. The skin is made up of many layers. Between the layers are what we would call tiny threads (not really threads but you get the idea) that bind and hold the skin structure/layers together. As we abuse our bodies....age.....gain weight....growing spurts and genetics....the strands that keep the layers of our skin taught start to breakdown. They also hold the fat cells in place. As these strands weaken and we gain weight (and ultimately develop many more fat cells) they too put pressure on these strands/threads and weaken their ability to keep the skin structure taught and bump free.......thus creating cellulite!!
    Of course the genetic predisposition that we are all already subjected to through hereditary means plays a huge part in how quickly or even "if" we will develop cellulite.
    I myself am one of the very unfortunate ones with LOTS of cellulite!! I remember having it in grade school!!! Around the age of 40 it got CONSIDERABLY worse!! My guess is age and the probability that my skin is losing it's elasticity at a faster rate now.
    I've used creams in my younger years. They are EXPENSIVE and offer only slight temporary solutions. If you can afford them and your not looking for a miracle....go for it!! lol
    But they most likely will only offer slight improvements.
    I think the best thing we can do for ourselves is unfortunately learn to accept it as part of who we are even though it's not very sexy!!! lol
    We don't get it by choice....none of us would choose to have it and it really does suck but better to focus on things we can change and remember that beauty is more than what appears to the eye.
    Good luck to everyone.
    If they ever come out with a SURE miracle cure.....I will be right in line with the rest of you!!! =-)