Homemade protein bars

Options
AirCircleI
AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
Does anyone make their own protein bars? Can you share or recommend a recipe? I would like to make some to have for snacks throughout the day, and they are so expensive to buy and I hate reading endless labels to check what is in them.
Thanks!

Replies

• AirCircleI
    Options
    bumping this up in case anyone has any ideas (especially as now probably waking up in different time zones)...:wink:
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'll give you this one and you can decide if you like it or it has enough protein for you.

2 cups oats ( I use just regular Quaker Oats)
    2 cups grape nute cereal
    1 cup natural peanut butter
    1 cup honey
    handful or so of semisweet choc chips

Heat up honey and peanut butter in large sauce pan just enough so they will mix together. We dont want this too hot so be careful. Add in Oats and grape nuts and stir all together. Its not easy to stir but you will get a little workout on your arm =) Once mixed together, throw in your handful or so of choc chips. Pour out in a 9x13 pan and pack down all around and your done. I have made variations of this as well. Dont know if Ive ever added protein powder to it but I bet you could depending on the flavor. Try it out and see what you think. I've known a few people who are athletes who make these and eat them regularly. Enjoy!
  • oldbooh
    Options
    bump
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Googled some :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/74192-does-anyone-know-recipe-homemade-protein-bars.html

others:
    -4 scoops chocolate protein powder
    -2/3 cup flax seed meal
    -4 tbsp natural peanut butter
    -1/4 cup water
    -stevia or natural sweetener (optional)

-2 tbspn coca powder (optional)

Directions
    -mix all ingredients in a large bowl and stir. At first it may not seem like it is enough water, but keep stirring and it will eventually become a sticky blob of dough. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time if needed.
    -divide mixture into 4 equal portions and place in separate pieces of plastic wrap placing them into bars. It's easier to shape them by lying plastic wrap on one side of a small casserole dish, pressing the dough into the natural shape of the dish.
    -store the bars in fridge or freezer. Once solid, enjoy.

AND
    1 cup oatmeal flour (grind old fashion oats in blender)
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp allspice
    3 egg whites
    14 packets stevia
    1 cup of pure pumpkin
    1/2 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degress. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, protein powder & nutmeg. In a medium bowl, mix egg whites, stevia, yogurt & pumpkin until well combined. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture & mix well.
    Pour batter into baking dish and spread evenly. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and cut into 16 pieces - 4 x 4.

Havent tried any though
  • AirCircleI
    Options
    Great, thanks for the ideas!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    BEST. Protein. Bar. EVER

1 C all natural Peanut Butter
    3 Tbsp Honey
    1.5 C Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
    1 C Oats (uncooked)
    4 Tbsp Water
    1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa

Mix peanut butter and honey- heat in microwave for 30 secs. Add remaining ingredients- mix. Press in 9x9 pan, and refrigerate for 20 min. Cut into 12 equal sized bars. OR roll into snack-sized balls and refrigerate.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    2 cups oats ( I use just regular Quaker Oats)
    2 cups grape nute cereal
    1 cup natural peanut butter
    1 cup honey
    handful or so of semisweet choc chips

Heat up honey and peanut butter in large sauce pan just enough so they will mix together. We dont want this too hot so be careful. Add in Oats and grape nuts and stir all together. Its not easy to stir but you will get a little workout on your arm =) Once mixed together, throw in your handful or so of choc chips. Pour out in a 9x13 pan and pack down all around and your done. I have made variations of this as well. Dont know if Ive ever added protein powder to it but I bet you could depending on the flavor. Try it out and see what you think. I've known a few people who are athletes who make these and eat them regularly. Enjoy!
    I'd like to try this. Thanks!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Bump...want to try the recipe that doesn't have protein powder since I don't have any.
  • klb364
    klb364 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    nutrition info??? on piumpkin bars
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Googled some :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/74192-does-anyone-know-recipe-homemade-protein-bars.html

others:
    -4 scoops chocolate protein powder
    -2/3 cup flax seed meal
    -4 tbsp natural peanut butter
    -1/4 cup water
    -stevia or natural sweetener (optional)

-2 tbspn coca powder (optional)

Directions
    -mix all ingredients in a large bowl and stir. At first it may not seem like it is enough water, but keep stirring and it will eventually become a sticky blob of dough. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time if needed.
    -divide mixture into 4 equal portions and place in separate pieces of plastic wrap placing them into bars. It's easier to shape them by lying plastic wrap on one side of a small casserole dish, pressing the dough into the natural shape of the dish.
    -store the bars in fridge or freezer. Once solid, enjoy.

AND
    1 cup oatmeal flour (grind old fashion oats in blender)
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp allspice
    3 egg whites
    14 packets stevia
    1 cup of pure pumpkin
    1/2 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degress. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, protein powder & nutmeg. In a medium bowl, mix egg whites, stevia, yogurt & pumpkin until well combined. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture & mix well.
    Pour batter into baking dish and spread evenly. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and cut into 16 pieces - 4 x 4.

Havent tried any though

These sound good. Thanks!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump here too!
  • 8break
    8break Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have made these & they are delicious & filling.
    2 cups rolled oats (I’ve upped it to 2 1/2 cups for another batch and they turned out great)
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I think it was called “soft” flour)*I used whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cherry-flavoured cranberriesOr chocolate chips
    3/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 cup honey
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup canola oil (I might try substituting some of the oil with apple sauce next time)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * I picked up a lot of these ingredients at the bulk food store. I’ve also made a batch with sunflower seeds and whole flax seeds. They were just as great! I find that if I add raisins and cranberries the bars become sweeter and chewier. You’ll have to experiment and figure out what you like best.
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
    2. In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, flax, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the centre, pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the pan.
    3. Bake for about 30 minutes, but watch the baking time. If you leave them in too long they’ll be dry. I like mine a bit chewier. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars or squares. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be too hard to cut.
    -
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump