Food is NOT a hobby!!!!

Options
I have to get it through my head that food is fuel---NOT a hobby!

I am a food addict. My weakest time is after my evening meal and before I go to bed. I find myself wandering in the kitchen constantly even when I find other things to occupy my time. I have an incredibly chaotic and active--but organized (I know oxy-moron) life, but yet I still seem to find the time to drop whatever I'm doing and go wander aimlessly into the kitchen to open and close cupboards and the fridge searching for something to stuff in my mouth.

Last summer at this time I got myself to only 10 pounds away from goal. I pledged a lifestyle change (I will never use the term 'diet' or run with any fads because to me this has to be forever) and exercised religiously, but somewhere along the line I lost my grip. It seemed to happen so fast, I couldn't even pin-point it. It was just recently I realized that it was actually a gradual progression and last holiday season it all blew up in my face. (I love to bake, and of course 'had' to bake all MY favorites) So now 6 months later I'm back to wanting to lose 30+ pounds (again) and need a fresh path. I'm hoping MFP will help me keep my inspiration and finally succeed. What a great site!

I have a couple simple (but really?) goals that I need to follow so I started this thread hoping to recruit others that would like to join me. Not necessarily to challenge each other, but simply to support each other and check in frequently with progress and achievements. Your goals may be different, but we can encourage each other to meet them daily. Here are mine:

Goal#1---I must create an exercise 'schedule' and work it. My 'life' is a schedule and I keep making excuses about not having time to exercise. When I exercise I feel better, sleep better, look better, and most importantly it helps me control my goal #2...

Goal#2---I must curb my night time binging. I do well every day ALL day until right after my evening meal...then I'm out of control. My plan is to PLAN my entire days food ahead of time...be it in the morning first thing or the night before. This daily plan can include a night time snack if my calories allow it (plus, if I get Goal #1 in force I can have even more :smile: ) but then I have to stop there. If I have to somehow padlock the kitchen shut I will...but I must stop the binging! (hopefully someone will have a more practical suggestion though)

I know I will lose the weight if I can implement these 2 goals. I'm excited about the thought of changing my ticker to actually reflect a loss---maybe even 2 weeks in a row! :laugh: I also know that this post got a little longer that I wanted, but you'll find that will happen regularly with me. I get excited about things and have a hard time shutting up about them---and I really think finding this great website is something to be excited about!

So, I'm hoping to get to know a lot of you so we can help guide each other into a healthier, happier lifestyle--one day at a time----one pound at a time. Food is NOT a hobby!!!

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I am the same way to some extent.

I find some nights i'm looking for "something" in the evening. (it doesn't help my husband is in the kitchen smearing peanut butter on crackers) It seems to help me if i have something very satisfying and filling for dinner. hope you find what helps you.
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    honestly, i go workout everynight after dinner for this very reason. i come home shower and go straight to bed! it's helping!
  • mizphit
    mizphit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am the same way to some extent.

I find some nights i'm looking for "something" in the evening. (it doesn't help my husband is in the kitchen smearing peanut butter on crackers) It seems to help me if i have something very satisfying and filling for dinner. hope you find what helps you.

That's a good reminder! I eat a lot of 'stir-fry' type dinners. I noticed recently if I actually budget in the calories for real olive oil instead of trying to get away with spray and chicken stock to save calories I feel much more satisfied afterwards--and it tastes much better. Thanks!!
  • dunhammj
    dunhammj Posts: 16
    Options
    I go to the gym after dinner. This gives me the ability to work off any bad eating I did during the day and it gets me out of the house when I want to snack.

I do get cravings after working out and before sleep but I find they are easier to fight after a work out. After the gym I have the most motivation and I can skip the snack or talk myself into just an apple or some other piece of fruit.

I don't know if this would help for you, or if it is even possible for you, but it works for me.
  • mizphit
    Options
    honestly, i go workout everynight after dinner for this very reason. i come home shower and go straight to bed! it's helping!

That's a really good suggestion. Do you have a hard time falling asleep? After I work out I'm usually really cranked up and ready to take on the world.
  • mizphit
    Options
    I go to the gym after dinner. This gives me the ability to work off any bad eating I did during the day and it gets me out of the house when I want to snack.

I do get cravings after working out and before sleep but I find they are easier to fight after a work out. After the gym I have the most motivation and I can skip the snack or talk myself into just an apple or some other piece of fruit.

I don't know if this would help for you, or if it is even possible for you, but it works for me.

I know what you mean about being able to fight cravings better after a work out. I never tried working out after dinner but it's a sensible time to schedule it. I have to fit it in somewhere.

My only concern is I'm an early riser so I'm wondering if I'll have trouble falling asleep if I work out so close to bed time. I guess I won't know unless I try it.
  • dunhammj
    dunhammj Posts: 16
    Options

I know what you mean about being able to fight cravings better after a work out. I never tried working out after dinner but it's a sensible time to schedule it. I have to fit it in somewhere.

My only concern is I'm an early riser so I'm wondering if I'll have trouble falling asleep if I work out so close to bed time. I guess I won't know unless I try it.

I take a longer than normal shower after working out and that relaxes my body and then I feel ready to sleep. If you give working out after dinner a try, I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.
  • jenane
    jenane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I work until 11 p.m. some nights, so when I come home I always want a small meal, which is fine, but then I wander around the kitchen snacking on this and that....and there goes 300 calories. I was really proud of myself last night from coming home from a bar and just having watermelon and the smallest bit of soup. Last time, I had like, 250 calories lol
  • mizphit
    Options
    I finally implemented a reasonable work out schedule into my day. I worked out this morning and it felt SO GOOD to work those muscles and get my heart pumping again! Granted, it was a shortened version of my regular routine
    don't want to kill myself the first day back again---but it was still a workout and I will progress from there.

I'm fortunate enough to have a very flexible day job, so I simply asked my boss if I could come in an hour later this morning. It was nice to not roll directly out of bed into the basement (where my home gym is) half asleep to work out. I got up, washed my face, drank my tea and then worked out. It gave me time to still do my morning work (I also run a part time business), have breakfast, and pack my lunch before leaving for my day job. I wasn't rushed and was able to really enjoy my time in my gym.

My current plan is to ask to come in late two times a week for starters, probably Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then the weekends I usually do 'weekend warrior' stuff in my garden so I work my body a lot then. Once I get my schedule going and get myself addicted again :tongue: I can implement some more cardio at night after work.

Next is the challenge of fighting off the nasty night time munchie monsters, but I know with these workouts incorporated into my week that will be a little easier......

I feel SO great! I'm very excited to have figured this out!! I feel ready to take on the world right now!!