Fried out my Fitbit yesterday

Options
So I got my fitbit and tried it out yesterday for the first time. I wore it all day long and than met with my trainer for an hour last . It synced up with MFP and fitbit.com last night with np problems... So, it said I earned 433 calories for the day. Fitbit sayd I earned 195 for my work out...So i mguess the 433 is my work out plus my normal activity for the day combined? I truly believe my work out with my trainer was worth more than 195 calories because involed a lot of weight lifitng. Should I track that manually. How do I do that without double tracking? Should I not wear it when I work out at the gym and track that seperately? I am very confused! Ilove the fitbit becausse it keeps me motivated all day, but it was disappoinint to see ony 195 for my work out with the trainer...suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I've seen it mentioned before that fitbit is really only accurate for activites like walking, running, and other things that have you moving in similar ways. I believe people say it doesn't give a good read for weightlifting b/c the movement is different. I hear the BodyMedia Fit is better for weightlifting b/c it gets a reading of your body temperature to use in it's calculations.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Your subject line says you FRIED out your fit bit.. and I was thinking...already????
  • taraf33
    taraf33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OOPs...I meant Tried out my Fitbit!! Sorry!
  • taraf33
    Options
    ya, so I am thinking of getting a HRM for my gym work outs, I just want to know how to log it on MFP if I am doing both..
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    ya, so I am thinking of getting a HRM for my gym work outs, I just want to know how to log it on MFP if I am doing both..

Just be careful w/ that idea, too, b/c I have read on here that regular HRM's might give too high of an estimate for a traditional weightlifting workout b/c the reason your heartrate is up is different while weightlifing than it is while doing cardio. It's supposed to be a little better on accuracy if your weightlifting is in more of a circuit-training type workout where you're incorporating cardio with the weightlifting. But I hear BodyMedia Fit is best for just straight weightlifting routines - plus that's one that you wear all day similar to how your wear the Fit Bit all day, it just uses different methods for estimating calorie burn than what the Fit Bit uses.

P.S. All this is annecdotal from reading in the forums, I don't have any personal experience with the Fit Bit or the BodyMedia Fit so take it for what it's worth. If you're considering purchasing another device, you might want to do some research and make sure you're choosing the one that's really going to do what you want it to do. All these devices get so complicated! LOL
  • taraf33
    Options
    Yes, the weight lifitng is more of a circuit training type. I am working with a personnel trainer and she has my butt moving!! Does anyone know anything about logging workout seperately?