Slow Cookers and recipes

Options
kreat
kreat Posts: 136
I'm very skeptical about using slow cookers when I'm not there. How safe are they when they are left in a house turned on with no one there to watch over it? And the other question is if they truly are worth it and safe, can anyone share any good healthy recipes that I can try using the slow cooker?

Replies

• MelissaU1985
    Options
    I LOVE my slow cooker!! I too was skeptical about using it, as we live in a (rented) house with older wiring.. but I finally did start using it.. and it works perfectly with no issues!
    Pop your meal in there in the morning, and your dinner is ready when you get home from work!!

I haven't used it in a while though.. I basically only use mine to make pot roast, soups, and chili.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker. There are a ton of recipes on here - just search the forums. I leave my house at 8am and leave my slow cooker on the low setting all day. Sometimes I'm not back until 9pm and I have yet to have a problem. The counter I leave it on is barely warm - no chance of a fire there!

I bought mine for less than $20. I would say buy one and try out a couple of recipes while you are around, just until you feel comfortable to leave it alone.

I just made shredded chicken for tacos - chicken breast, packet of low sodium taco seasoning and 1 cup of chicken broth. Cooked on low all day, then I came home and shredded the chicken and let it marinate in the juices for another half hour. Ate it on corn tortillas - fantastic!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I leave my crock pot going on the stovetop in the center of the burners all day (NOTE: NO ON THE BURNERS, BUT BETWEEN THEM) ~ its already built for heat and it in the event it ever malfunctioned, its not going to burn the stove top... (Im sure it would be fine on the counter top, but I am paranoid about stupid things sometimes).

As for recipes ~ cut up a bunch of potatoes to line the bottom of your crockpot, throw in carrots (we like baby carrots) to line on top, and then put a roast on top (pork, beef, or some chicken breasts if that's your preference), and then mix a can of fat free mushroom soup mixed with a can of water, and pour it over everything. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours and dinner is DONE.
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems with leaving my crockpot on and leaving. As for recipes heres a link
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/SkinnyCrockPot
    If you look through there pictures they have all the recipes there. It used to be a regular site but something happened to it so now they post everything on facebook
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You can basically cook about anything in the slow cooker-soups, stews, chili. Even BBQ- I do beef short ribs. Just line the bottoem with cut up onoins, season the ribs with whatever you prefer, brown the beef ribs first, put in cooker, top with your favorite BBQ suace, a tip of water cover, leave and come back later to enjoy. Some stores have slow cooker recipes at the checkout counter-pick up one and give it a try. May also want to try some websites for recipies that would be free of charge. Good luck.
  • bsalazar24
    Options
    I found this recipe for Chicken

5 or 6 defrosted chicken breast
    low sodium taco seasoning
    3-16oz pace picante mild salsa
    season each chicken breast with taco seasoning to your taste and place on the bottom of crock pot. Top with Salsa.1 to 2 16 oz would probably be enough but I only used half of jar, but you just add the salsa to your liking.
    cook on either high for 3-4 hours or low 7-9 hours. If you less salsa your cook time may be less
    Eat with tacos, tortillas, rice or as a sandwich.
    Its about 140 Calories per serving for the chicken.

When I cooked it I put and thin layer of salsa on the bottom of crock pot before I put the chicken in. Its a fast and easy!
    Enjoy
  • sitasays
    sitasays Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing but I put my chicken breasts in the crock pot frozen. Works beautifully!