Sweetener v sugar?

Options
I'm being a bit indecisive over my next shop. Should I buy artificial sweetener, yay or nay?
I only plan on using 1 tsp per day in my porridge (for breakfast). Sugar would be 16 cals, 4g carbohydrate. Sweetener would be 2 cals, 1g carbohydrate. It's only a small difference but would it be worth it? Is it worth the extra £1?

Replies

• DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try Truvia it's a natural sweetner made from the stevia plant. I also found on amazon.com flavored stevia drops that I use in my tea and coffee. It has a low glycemic index too.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try Truvia it's a natural sweetner made from the stevia plant. I also found on amazon.com flavored stevia drops that I use in my tea and coffee. It has a low glycemic index too.

Oh and 0 calories and only 3 carbs per packet. Most of the time I only need 1/2 a packet. :drinker:
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes- try stevia. I use it in my tea and don't mind the taste... you'll get used to it.
  • lottie_28
    Options
    Ah thank you! I just wasn't sure whether cutting down on 16 calories was worth it, but I think it would make me feel better psychologically!
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    I use splenda in my oatmeal. I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. I also drink the occasional diet soda (diet coke) which has nutrasweet (aspartame) in it and it never bothers me either. I think if you're not using it very often any of the artificial (or natural sweetners) are just fine. Lots of people disagree, of course. I've tried some of the other sweetners (stevia, truvia, etc.) but I don't like the way they taste at all.