Healthy Eating Tips for Traveling?

Options
Hi all,

I'm headed to Chicago on Monday and will be there for a week for a conference. Any tips for eating healthy while away from home? Most likely will be going out to dinner with folks on a nightly basis.

Thanks,
ryan

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try bringing snacks with you (nuts, protein bars) and opt for a salad (sans dressing or dressing on the side) before each meal. Avoid the bread basket, try to limit the alcohol (empty calories). Look for steamed veggie options, lean proteins (turkey, chicken, lean cuts of red meat, fish). Don't be afraid to ask for a "healthy choice" menu (most restaurants have them) or ask for a dish to be altered (i.e. grilled fish versus sauteed and slathered in sauce), etc. I ask for most sauces to be put on the side.

Have a great trip! :)

EDIT:
    Oh, and forgive yourself if you just can't pass up the mashed potatoes one night. :) Also, try to get in exercise when you can, go for a walk, run, try the gym at the hotel (most have a fitness room).
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    just be logical about it, ask for the childs portion or a half portion (i do this often)

stay away from buttery/creamy sauces and cooking methods and above all ASK about how its cooked and what goes into it.

i went out for dinner last weekend, for a good sunday roast, i gave the potatos to my husband, had minimal gravy and extra veg.

its a case of being sensible. :)
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work, too, and it can be tough! Especially when meals are on the company dime, it's easy (for me, at least) to over-indulge. One thing you can do is look at the planned restaurants ahead of time, check out their menus, and see what the healthier options are before you ever step foot in the restaurant. My coworkers drink pretty heavily during work trips, so for me it's important to know what the lower-cal drinks are, and stick to the plan. Even if the hotel doesn't have a gym, you can try to make a point to walk outside for 30 mins or so after work to stretch your legs and keep the metabolism going (it's probably still pretty cold there right now, so the gym would be a better option, if they have one).

Good luck to you!!
    Katy
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    Eating healthy in hotels is tough but possible. A few tricks that I've picked up along the way.....

Breakfast - eggs, lean meat, fruit, whole grain cereals. Take some fruit away to snack on during the day if you can.

Lunch - avoid white bread, anything in pastry or that is deep fried. Stick to lean protein, salad, veg fruit etc and avoid the cakes/cookies at coffee breaks.

Dinner - most places will do grilled fish/chicken with salad or veg. Drink spritzers or alternate one glass of alcohol with large glass of water. Fruit or sorbet for pudding. Can't give you specific places to eat as I'm in the UK.

Make use of the hotel gym/pool if you get time.

Good luck.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I figured it was just doing a lot of the same that I do at home, but it's not as easy when work picks up the tab on the road.