Guys: Need Advice - Encouraging Husband

Options
I've always been a fan of being able to workout at home with various DVDs. My husband and I have been married for 3 1/2 years (together for 6 years) and I ask him if he'd like to workout with me, most of the time he says no. But then I got 30 Day Shred and one day he agreed to try it once, which he finally did this morning. The problem is that he says he feels like a dork (he used other choice words but I'm editing) and that he feels emasculated when doing it - mainly because 30 Day Shred has 3 women and Jillian keeps saying, "Come on girls." and other things like that.

The reason I want my husband to workout with me is because I need the encouragement; I do better, try harder and push myself farther when someone is working out with me. Every time we talk diet and healthy eating he says something along the lines of, "Just let me know what I can do to help." Working out with me is what he can do to help and I tell him that. It would benefit him too to workout regularly.

What can I do to help encourage my husband to workout with me? How do I help him get over feeling like a dork? Do you guys ever feel like that when working out? Do you use DVDs or prefer the gym? We've also tried going to the gym, taking our dogs out for walks but nothing really sticks. Thoughts? Ideas?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just let him know afterwards.
    Hearing things like "Wow, thanks! You really kept me going on that" or "I do enjoy doing that together, I'm more likely to stick with it with you by my side".

That or reward him with some sort of "treat" afterwards, maybe a couples shower? I know that would always be in mind the next time. You can't get after work out shower together, if you don't work out together!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying a different workout DVD? There are plenty of them out there that are more unisex or even geared towards men. Try something like P90X, etc.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Try withholding marital favors.

Also, check his text messages.
  • benjamin171
    benjamin171 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    get him a kettle bell and his own dvds
    http://artofstrength.mybigcommerce.com/kettlebell-clinic/
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You could always try finding a workout buddy online. My OH doesn't like working out but I have some friends who do. Even though we don't manage to be physically in the same session that often, we often trade workout plans. And we make an effort to meet up. Last Sunday we went running in the park, and she made me do pushups and planks in the mud! I'd never have done this on my own.

There are normally lots of people on local internet sites that want exercise buddies.

Good luck!

Also, feel free to add me if you want virtual kicks up your backside :)
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    P90X got me started on the in home DVD's, No man will feel embarassed doing these beasts. After he feels comfortable with these, he can move to other DVD workouts if he chooses.

Encouragement from you will always work.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! All good ideas! (99% of them anyway)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    The come on girls comments in the video can be weird for a guy. How about turning the volume down on the tv and turning on the radio.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The come on girls comments in the video can be weird for a guy. How about turning the volume down on the tv and turning on the radio.

Thanks; so simple but great idea! Asking myself why I didn't think of this before!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Pretty girls in the videos might help to motivate him. :wink:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Download some Aerobicise clips... those are 20 minutes... He'll be ready for workout #2 immediately after :wink:
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It can be tough to motivate someone unless they're really interested in motivating themselves. I know that I have owned the p90x series for about a year but haves not used them because I feel like I get a better workout at the gym. Maybe encouraging him to join a sports team or sign up for an athletic event would spark his interest. My wife and I both exercise regularly but she runs with a running group whereas I train at our gym. Very rarely do we actually exercise together.