Birth Control and Weight Loss?

Options
Anyone find it difficult losing weight while on birth control? I've been on the pill for about four years and throughout those four years I've gained about 20 pounds. Which I am now trying to lose. I switched to Yaz since the pill I was on prior to that made me bloated a lot, but I don't feel any different. I've tried many birth controls and it seems as though me being bloated doesn't go away. "/
Has anyone had any of these issues? As far as being bloated and gaining weight?

Replies

• capauls
    Options
    I was on birth control for about 6 years and my weight steadily crept up that whole time. overall i gained 20lbs over a few years but didn't change my exercise or eating habits at all. I actually just stopped the pill a few days ago in hopes that my hormones will level out and allow me to lose some weight, because I have been exercising and eating less calories for several months now with no results.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I lost 60 lbs while I was on the pill. I gained some back while on. A LOT back when I got off of it. But I'm determined to get back in to tip top shape again, even though I'm back on the pill.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I am on the depo shot and have been since my son was born three years ago, in the begining I noticed a little weight gain but after that It hasnt seemed to do much more and it hasnt hindered my weight loss at all.. I think the only thing hindering me is me lol anyway to answer the question no I dont belive all the crap people say about the depo shot blah blah blah lol I love it! I get it once every three months and It does not stop me from losing weight (if anything it helps to keep me on track cause i have to weigh everyt ime i go to get it lol) Good luck hun! Hang in there
  • Chantal34
    Options
    I have gained about 13 lbs in the last year due to Implanon. I am having this thing taken out this month! I've lost 4 lbs in the last couple of weeks and I don't want Implanon to impede anymore of my progress.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control for 6 years and gained 20-25 lbs. I stopped talking it this spring 2011 when my fitness goals really became a priority. I have lost all the weight, but I did put a lot of hours and determination into my work outs. I do believe it helped me though, because I was working out in the past and not losing weight. I am now down to my pre-BC weight.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My weight has steadily increased over the years since I've been on the pill, despite not changing my eating habits. :( It also makes me moody as hell. But the benefits outweigh the side effects I guess. Can't do without it... LOL
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    There was a study recently that showed birth control doesn't actually make you gain weight.

As you get older you have to tailor your habits or you will gain.

I have been on bc for 7 years and ya I gained weight but because I ate too much and didnt exercise enough.

My suggestion is eat a deficit high protein and exercise both cardio and strength training. Once I started doing these thing i started losing weight.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't say I gained weight by being on the pill. It was my own fault. ;-)
  • ehoward54
    ehoward54 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have never had any problems losing weight on the pill. Not now, not in years past.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had difficulty.

In particular, in the first couple months I was on this brand of birth control I gained 30 lbs, in total since I got on this pill (1 year 3 months) I've gained 45 lbs. I feel like my appetite is very much increased and I'm still debating on going off it to help with weight loss, but I think I'm going to try losing while on it for a while longer since inevitably I will be back on it again.

BUT I think that you need to consider that it could be other factors. Of course you know how you are living better than anyone. I just think that so many lifestyle changes tend to happen in the late teens and twenties.
  • c0lm4ns
    Options
    I was on Depo-Provera around 6 years ago and didn't change my eating habits. Within 2 years I had put on 5 stone.

I came off of Depo-Provera and then went back on it over a year ago. So far I've yo-yo'd within a 2 stone limit.

This year is different. I have to be really strict with my diertary habits knowing that i so easily ballooned; I also have an underactive thyroid which means I need to be extra careful.

I don't eat anything after 7pm (unless I know I am going to be working nights due to my job which I can't really avoid!) and I eat porridge for breakfast. Lots of fruit daily, small lunch, decent dinner. But mainly just changing my attitude towards eating and what I cram in my mouth has really helped. I'm eating 3 meals a day and I'm eating healthily.

Not only has it made me shed pounds from my body, i'm saving pounds in my wallet.

I had the same problem when I was taking Co-Cyprindol, but not when I was prescribed Dianette. I think weight gain on birth control is a really common side effect so just be careful, patient and don't push yourself too hard. You can do it!
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo shot and have been since my son was born three years ago, in the begining I noticed a little weight gain but after that It hasnt seemed to do much more and it hasnt hindered my weight loss at all.. I think the only thing hindering me is me lol anyway to answer the question no I dont belive all the crap people say about the depo shot blah blah blah lol I love it! I get it once every three months and It does not stop me from losing weight (if anything it helps to keep me on track cause i have to weigh everyt ime i go to get it lol) Good luck hun! Hang in there

does it also help with keeping your skin clear? I've noticed while being on Yaz my face began breaking out a lot! I've never had that issue.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 5 years. I never gained weight because of the pill. In fact, my weight pretty much stayed the same. However, I can tell you that I am still on the pill and I have lost over 80 pounds and am continuing to lose while being on the pill.

I am not on the Seasonquie variety, but my doctor has my presription written so I can take the pills continuously and I get to choose when I want to get my period. Then and only then do I take the sugar pills in my pack. The only she asks is that I have at least 3 a year. This is lovely because then I can "schedule" them when it's convenient for me...but really, is it ever convenient for anyone??
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Nuvaring for about 5 years now and I currently weight 5 pounds LESS than when I got on it in the first place. I did gain a little weight initially because I was eating more (one side effect is increased appetite), but now I have that under control.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    *bump* very interested in this topic right now- would like to follow the responses
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    yeah it was the damnest thing. i just kept piling the weight on and grew moobs.
  • c0lm4ns
    Options

does it also help with keeping your skin clear? I've noticed while being on Yaz my face began breaking out a lot! I've never had that issue.

Nope. Dianette does though. Not a single spot in over 2 years whilst I was on that.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There was a study recently that showed birth control doesn't actually make you gain weight.

As you get older you have to tailor your habits or you will gain.

I have been on bc for 7 years and ya I gained weight but because I ate too much and didnt exercise enough.

My suggestion is eat a deficit high protein and exercise both cardio and strength training. Once I started doing these thing i started losing weight.

I agree with this. My doctor told me that being on the pill won't *cause* you to gain weight, although I think she mentioned that there is a possibility of an increase in appetite. But as long as you're aware that it could cause you to want to eat more, you should be able to keep it in check. There's nothing about being on BC that will cause your weight to be out of your control.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had been on the pill for about 4 years and I thought that was why I gained so much weight over those 4 years. I went off the pill and still didn't lose anything so went back on it. It was once I drastically changed by diet and exercise routine that I started to lose weight even while on the pill. I realized that i had just been using that as my excuse the whole time, but it really didn't effect me one way or the other.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Before going on birth control (I've been on the pill and Nuvaring, liked both), I talked to my doctor about my concerns regarding BC and weight loss. She said that the pill itself won't cause weight gain, but sometimes you can experience an increase in appetite and cravings for refined carbs.

As long as you keep those two things in check, you shouldn't experience weight gain from BC alone.