Are there real MDs and/or legit Nutritionist here to field s

Options
There are so many quesitons flying in and out of here. Some of them are mirrors of my own.
I had a nurse(I workd PRN at a hospital), tell me that insulin resistance will make you NOT loose weight.
And causes belly fat... or too gain around the midsection.
My Father is type II diabetic. So, I used his tester to test for 3 days. Once in the evening 2.5 hours after a meal- it was 101. The other 2 times was in the AM before a meal and 8-10hrs of fasting. 1st day was 94, 2nd day was 91.
I am uninsured. I have lost 4-5lbs in 3.5 weeks. I walk 3 - 4 days a week. Per HRM- burn 330-1000 cals...depending on how long and where I am walking. (And yeah I know they are not exact.) My intake cals are 1370. Sometimes I eat my exercise cals.. .sometimes I don't.
Because of no insurance, I rarely go to the Dr. Only when absolutely necessary.
I am wondering if I should be tested for insulin resistance.

Also, Can someone explain the HRM not being accurate on people who are not even remotely in shape?....If you are fat and out of shape does it over estimate the calories burned? So, in reality I am not burning even close to what it says.
My HR stays in "zone" the majority of the time in a brisk walk.(124-140ish) It gets too max and above(166-187) if I am goin up steep hills.
So, if the HRM is not so accurate.... is the Body Bugg or Body Media more accurate in calories burned?

I know nothing is exact... and it's all a science. I am just trying to find what works for ME.
Any and all helpful info is appreciated.

And yes, I know the disclaimer at the bottom... just didn't know if any of those pros. might happen to peruse these things.... and would like to share some knowledge...

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At the bottom of the forum page you will see this

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

While there may well be MD, ND and more on here this isn't really the proper venue for medical advice. You'll get lots of opinions though ;)
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Those don't hit the qualifying numbers for any diabetes diagnosis. I think you're fine.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to read and form your own opinions. Even MD's and Nutritionists don't even agree.

4-5 lbs in 3 weeks is awesome. Exactly what you want to be doing.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you have insulin resistance, or 'pre-diabetes' there is no real value in getting it 'diagnosed', other than to use that information to try and prevent yourself developing diabetes proper. As you are already doing the right things to do that i.e. eating healthy and losing weight, I think you should carry on with what you are doing. Home testing isn't a brilliant idea and capillary blood glucose shouldn't be used as a diagnostic test for insulin resistance/diabetes, glucose should be tested on a fasting venous sample or after an oral glucose tolerance test to give an accurate result.